PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket glow plug questions

AJMBLAZER
01-27-2007, 09:09
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-GMC-6-5-Turbo-Diesel-Glow-Plug-Plugs_W0QQitemZ150085080736QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3369 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Recently ran across those on Ebay. Anybody heard of these? Any other aftermarket units worth looking into?

Lord knows how old mine are, probably original. Only 50k miles but they are 21 years old now.

arveetek
01-27-2007, 09:50
Has your truck been converted to 12 volt? If so, I would stay away from these "instant heats" and stick with the AC 60G plugs. The instant heats might get hotter quicker, but they'll burn out faster too.

You can purchase 60G plugs from most any auto parts retailer. You'll have to ask for "AC 60G" glow plugs, though, to make sure you get the right ones. They may not stock them, but they should be able to order them.

If you still have the military 24 volt system, you'd better get some advice from others on which glow plugs to use in your truck. I'm not as familiar with those systems, although I believe there is a resistor that lowers the glow plug system back down to 12 volts anyway.

Casey

ccatlett1984
01-28-2007, 21:56
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-GMC-6-5-Turbo-Diesel-Glow-Plug-Plugs_W0QQitemZ150085080736QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3369 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Recently ran across those on Ebay. Anybody heard of these? Any other aftermarket units worth looking into?

Lord knows how old mine are, probably original. Only 50k miles but they are 21 years old now.

you can get the correct plugs for your cucv from INDUSA, on ebay. you need the Wellman 070 glow plugs.

The Glow plugs on cucv's are feed 24volts through a dropping resistor (it allows ~18volts through and cuts this down to `12volts as it warms up) to enable the vehicle to be started via the slave recipticle on the front of the truck. STOCK PLUGS WILL BURN OUT!!!!!! as they are not meant to be hit with the higher voltage at the start of the glowing cycle.