PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to dual alternators???

2tough2park
01-26-2007, 16:24
My 06 Dmax did not have that option equipped. While futzing around under the hood not long ago, I see where the second alternator just bolts right up. I can also see where the extra idler pulley bolts up. Then I guess it's a matter of the longer belt. But what about the electrical connections? There's a positive battery splice right next to where the second alternator goes. Does the second one just connect the charge lead to that splice? Or is there a harness connection involved as well? I'm just asking for the heck of it.

Buck
01-27-2007, 10:33
My '01 only had a single. I ordered my '05 with dual alternators. I can tell you there is a big difference with the dual setup. When you start volts are up to max right away. With the single setup it would take 10 seconds or more for the volts to come up to max.

gmdieseltech.com sells the dual alt kit last I knew. I am sure there is a harness to attach the second alt.

DmaxMaverick
01-27-2007, 13:24
After a hardware and harness install, you may need to have the BCM programmed. The earlier models require it, but I don't know about the '06.

Other than that, the upgrade should be very simple.

Heartbeat Hauler
01-28-2007, 14:58
I was reading in the latest issue of Diesel Builder magazine a new product now available for 99-2007 Chevy, GMC and Hummer light to medium duty vehicles (I assume that includes the Duramax). It's a 250 amp high-output alternator that provides 110 amps at idle. I was thinking this might be easier than adding a second one, but not sure if this would really be better. Wrangler Northwest Power Products has it and their web site is www.wranglernw.com Anyways, it's another option and maybe easier than adding the second alternator and harness.
JP

Heartbeat Hauler
01-28-2007, 15:02
I decided to check the website here--> http://www.wranglernw.com/ProductPickerResults.aspx?year=2001&make=2&model=56&engine=213&option=0&itemtype=12

Looks like they have a 190 AMP, but I think the 250 amp model just hasn't hit the website yet....too new.
JP