PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Pinball?

mstockton
01-24-2007, 23:56
Ok, I realize I've been posting a few threads here recently, but this one has me a bit stumped. Just today, my glow system has gone nuts. After the first glow cycle (I usually let it cycle twice when it is cold), the glow solenoid starts clicking on and off very rapidly, sounding like a pinball game. It does this until the engine gets warm enough for the glow system to shut down. It does it every time I fired the truck up today, or even turned the key to the on position to roll down a window, etc. I dont want to damage my expensive 60g's or do damage to any of the other components in the system. I'm guessing the problem might lie with the controller, since it glows fine and steady the first go around, so it would seem the solenoid is out of the picture. Anybody had this happen to them?

Subzilla
01-25-2007, 13:32
Sounds like the controller. Mine did a very similar thing for about a week then settled down. But now it only glow the first cycle but doesn't ever follow up with additional glows. I'm OK with this as my old Sub will start on the first glow.

gmctd
01-25-2007, 16:19
Upgrade the orig glow controller to the '85-up - scheme for both is in the haynes manual.

If already been did, check your glow inhibit switch in the t-stat cross-over