PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start

srf_58
01-24-2007, 07:35
Sorry if this has been addressed already, I searched but could not find. I have a 94 6.5 that has 84K on it. It is very hard to start. I put new batteries and still hard to start. The glow plug light comes on and cycles through. I check the glow plugs, and they are getting hot (at least the ones on the drivers side) any help would be great.:)

twaddle
01-24-2007, 12:56
What's the history, just started doing it?
When you say hard to start.... do you mean it doesn't fire up or it does eventually?

While it's cranking over, are you getting any smoke out of the exhaust pipe?

The more information the more likely someone can help you.

Regards

Jim
Biggar, Scotland

srf_58
01-25-2007, 09:44
Hard to start. I does eventually start. It does pump out smoke when I am cranking on it. When it does finally start it blows a lot of smoke for just a second. After I get it started the first time for the day and drive it into town and get out for just a minute it is hard to start again. Thanks for all your help.
Kyle

srf_58
01-25-2007, 10:33
After doing more reading. I need to metion that when it finally starts that there is loud clinking for just a few seconds, this is the same time that it is pumping out a lot of smoke.

twaddle
01-25-2007, 13:16
I think you need to check that each glow plug is operating. Your problem sounds like some of the glow plugs are faulty. Check that each glow plug is getting a good voltage and amps supply.

The noises on firing up are probably due to unburnt diesel causing excessive diesel knock. The unburnt diesel also causes the excessive smoke.

Good luck

Jim
Biggar, Scotland

65TD
01-25-2007, 21:13
Assuming the smoke is white and smells just like diesel and it runs and cranks good warmed up then your glow plugs are not getting hot enough.

srf_58
01-26-2007, 06:38
Thanks for your help. How do I check to see if the glow plugs are working right. What should the amp load be on the glow plugs.

JohnC
01-26-2007, 11:24
Thanks for your help. How do I check to see if the glow plugs are working right. What should the amp load be on the glow plugs.

It depends on the plugs, but roughly 10 amps each plug.

Shikaroka
01-26-2007, 12:15
The glow plugs would be a good place to start, and they aren't that hard to replace.
Or, you have have a bad injector or two.
If the GPs don't help, then I would look into replacing the injectors. Most people recommend replacing them around 100k miles, and you're not too far from there.

rustyk
01-26-2007, 22:29
Another possibility (which I haven't had on my 6.5L TD, but did on my Ford - am I allowed to say the "F"-word here?) 6.9L NA was that the fuel return lines from the injectors were cracked and allowed air into the lines. White smoke was the clue. Injectors and glow plugs tested clean...