PDA

View Full Version : Pushing a 6.5 out of a School Bus

Highbank
01-23-2007, 21:29
I just swapped out my 6.2 with a 6.5 non turbo'd engine out of a school bus (early 90's) and have been reading until my eyes burned out about turbo chargers. I guess I should install one for more power but have several questions before I do. Should I install a factory setup from a turbo'd 6.5 or a Banks side winder package? If I should use the factory package, which turbo is best? I see plenty of GM-8's on the market but also a few GM-4 models. Is there a better turbo package on the market than any of these and why is it better? Are there any injector or injection pump modifications or adjustments needed once the Turbo is operating? I have the mechanical injection pump. Should I install a highperformance intake manifold prior to installing the Turbo? Should I change the camshaft?
Thanks for any advise. I love this engine. It is already an awesome improvement over the 6.2

bcbigfoot
01-23-2007, 22:28
I personally would use a factory setup you could most likely pick one up very reasonably. You could use any year of turbo and manifolds very little difference but the best is GM-8 but would need a mechanical wastegate controller such as the one from Heath Diesel. I'm not certain but you may have a small injection pump (pistons/plungers small), if you post the pump serial # one of the forums experts could tell you. Being a manual pump you can turn it up easily but I don't know if it would be enough to compensate for a turbo. Also which year of truck do you have, I think the old syle of truck 87 and older don't have room for turbo and air conditioning.

Highbank
01-23-2007, 22:47
It is an '83 C2500 but the Air has been removed. Installing air is another project for another day, lol. I will get the pump numbers in the next few days but I would guess since the engine is out of a school bus it should have the higher output of the two pumps, I hope at least. If not, hopefully someone will advise me as to which pump I should install and how to adjust it for maxime horse and economy.

gmctd
01-23-2007, 23:42
Pull the exhaust manifolds and turbo offa 6.5TD, field-strip your engine, dress it out with the turbo stuff, use the GM-8 if ya got it.

The Turbo Inj Pump is DB2-831-4911 - post the numbers on your pump for comparo - important number is the -831- bit, but a -829- will getcha to Wal-Mart and back.

Yours can be turned up a little to handle the turbo upgrade, no big deal.

Check out the self-contained HVAC unit in the '88-up trucks - it's all inside, outta the way, could easily be adapted to the '80's body, leaves room for the -8 exhaust elbow and downpipe.

And, tell 'em I sentcha............