PDA

View Full Version : fuel problem?? or something else???

dkburgess
01-22-2007, 19:14
i've recently aquired an 82 sierra, with the 6.2l power plant. i'm new of course to this forum, but i find that several threads and replys leave me very confused. the reason i'm here is simple.... i'm confused, and don't have alot of money to throw away at a garage. i've driven the truck enough to know the engine is sound, but it sat for some length of time and now after my 200 miles of heartache, the darn thing won't run for crap!!! i've changed the filter twice, and bled some water and contaminants out. i know it's only a start, but even with a fresh filter and fuel....it seems like it's fuel starved if i try to give it throttle. i don't know all these acronyms like ops, tps, xyz and 123, but i need layman terms for replies and not a bunch of silly responses like i've seen from some of the "moderators". i welcome all responses. please keep it simple...i don't have a phd in diesel mechanics!!!!

83Blzr62
01-22-2007, 22:22
What exaclty does it do to make it run like crap? If it is starved for fuel it could be the lift pump or clogged line.

joed
01-23-2007, 08:16
A couple of thoughts...

You mention changing the fuel filter - did you change both? Being an 82, it should have 2 fuel filters - one on the firewall and a smaller (secondary) one mounted to the back of the intake manifold in the valley. Since this second filter is smaller and more hidden, it's easy to be overlooked. Make sure you fill the filters with clean diesel before you install them to help prevent air-lock.

Also, perhaps the mechanical fuel (lift) pump is bad. It's located on the front of the passenger side of the engine. If this is bad it will be hard to get air out the system once it's introduced and you can experience fuel starvation under load, like when accelerating.

Otherwise, you may have a fuel leak elsewhere - do you smell fuel?

Joe.

dkburgess
01-23-2007, 18:13
my thanx to both of the replies. i've changed the other filter and still have some type of issue, it just seems like it's starved for fuel....if i feather the pedal, it won't do anything until i let up, and then the rpm's increase....still no power after a short drive....now i've got lots of white smoke coming out the pipes, the drivers side more than the passenger side...this is confusing too. it could be that i've reconnected to the original fuel supply and there may be some water. i've already added "sea foam" and i figure that would have made some difference. my phone number is 270-272-7893 if anyone has any other ideas!!! i'm desperate!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: