PDA

View Full Version : Heater Core Replacement in Chevy Van

Bruzersdad
01-21-2007, 17:34
All:

This is just a service bulletin to those who: 1) drive a Van, and 2) think that they need to replace the heater core. You are in for a LONG day! GM, in their brilliance, mounted the heater core in a module inside the cabin, and in order to access the unit, you will have to: remove the engine cover, remove the rubber boot around the a/c evaporator module (but will NOT have to discharge the a/c system -- that happens with '96 and later), remove the interior trim back as far as the doors, and then remove the dashboard assembly. Then you will remove the heater duct over the hump, and then the three 7/16" nuts from the engine compartment side, and one 10 mm bolt from the cabin side. THEN you will wrestle the module out. After removing about (10) 1/4" head screws, you'll split open the module and gain access to the damaged core. Replace the core, and reverse the above, and you're back on the road, toasty, and not blowing ethylene glycol mist on your windshield. The good news is that the core is only about $25.

Where else can you have 10 hours (OK, I'm really slow) of very frustrating "fun" for only $25???

john8662
01-22-2007, 02:26
Oh boy! I can hardly wait!

I guess when my father calls me up and tells me that the heater core in his 83 Gvan has failed that I should just say "well, good luck with that"

Thanks for the heads up!

J