PDA

View Full Version : ATS turbo kit

Robyn
01-21-2007, 14:31
Anyone here used or had any experience with the ATS turbo setup for the 6.2????
Looking at one and it looks good and the price is good too.

Robyn

wade-ve7trw
01-22-2007, 00:44
get a hold of David snowman87. He had one which i bought for one of my projects. Wade

john8662
01-22-2007, 02:23
Whatcha wanna know?

Look at my photo album for my '86.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=72&cat=506

I've had BOTH setups on my pickup, I swapped to the Banks because the ATS doesn't fit 2WD 1/2 pickups with the diesel well at all.

No problems with a 4x4 or 3/4 ton pickup...

I liked the setup, for a few reasons.

murphyslaw
01-22-2007, 03:34
for a transplant 6.2 into a 78 4x4 would you pick one over the other?

what are the perf. differences? hadnt heard of this one before.

Robyn
01-22-2007, 09:45
Thanks John for the great pix.
???? How does the exhaust pipe fasten to the manifold???
The view is dificult to tell.
Does it use a v band type clamp or (Pipe leding to the muffler)

Craig M
01-22-2007, 10:16
The air intake from my ATS is completely different from that shown. The air intake is divided, part for incoming air, part for post turbo. In stock location however, so different from the Banks unit. Stray Cat ran a 6.2 on a dyno with my ATS turbo. I could not find it in the old posting on the message board. I have hard copy somewehere, but where?

john8662
01-22-2007, 14:54
The air intake from my ATS is completely different from that shown. The air intake is divided, part for incoming air, part for post turbo. In stock location however, so different from the Banks unit. Stray Cat ran a 6.2 on a dyno with my ATS turbo. I could not find it in the old posting on the message board. I have hard copy somewehere, but where?

Two ATS turbo setups exist:

82-87 model (like the one I had installed on my '86, with the large manifold). But with divided aluminum intake plenum that sits under the factory air cleaner.

88-93 model, looks VERY similar to a Banks kit for that same truck model, has a smaller "pressure chamber" on top of the intake though.

With that said...

Sounds like you have a Rayjay kit, they were like you describe. One plenum that mounted to the intake that took clean air from the factory cleaner and then into the turbo below. Then the turbo pressure was piped back to the same divided chamer for boost into the intake.

Robyn,

The downpipe connects to the exhaust manifold with a standard exhaust clamp (u-bolt type). The last 3" of the manifold is necked down so that you can slide a piece of 3" pipe right over it, then clamp it down with your clamp. It's tight though, very tight. I have a pic somewhere, I'll upload it.

Murphy,

I'd personally go with the Banks, but you can certainly go either way in your truck.

J

Robyn
01-22-2007, 22:41
Yes yes
I am looking at two units.
The ATS is the early one for sure.
The other unit is a Banks but it was originally installed on an 88 1ton.
88 was the new style truck.
Looks like the underhood stuff should be all the same. The exhaust system will be loads different but I am going to make my own anyway.

Really thinking about going out of the down pipe to a 4inch as soon as I can get clear of things and running it down the drivers side as there is more room to clear the T case.
From there into a Y and split the sucker into two 4 inchers and then out the back corners with about 18-20 inches of 5 inch chrome 45's on the end.

Just gotta have duals ya know.

The truck has a metric buttload of room since it has been lifted.
All this with just pipe and no mufflers should really sound good.
Sorta like a big bug farting in a coke bottle.

At this point I have come into some 6.5 parts so the 6.5 will most likely be doing the work.
Found a cache of rings, bearings and stuff that was destined for the scrap heap.

Fellow had a batch of odds and ends from many rebuilds and I was able to put together enough stuff to almost rebuild the 6.5 I have.

Rings from 3 different sets but all for the 6.5 Std bore.
2 sets of Mahle rings, 4 Hastings and 2 factory GM sets.
Not sure why so many odd and ends, maybe somebody was a puttz and broke a lot of them trying to get them on.

Bearings from 2 different sets, a mixture of Mahle and Clevite
Gaskets are all odds and ends but enough to do the engine.
All these odds and ends make no sense but the price was right!!!!!
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Once its all bolted together nobody will ever know

????????????

EWC
01-23-2007, 15:21
The Banks for the newer style , 88 + , had the turbo mounted back a cylinder or 2 but the older styler , 87 - , had the turbo mounted on the corner . If you are looking at the Ebay set , it looks like it would be the older style i.e. R/V series and not C/K series .

Robyn
01-23-2007, 16:01
The unit on ebay is auction number 300073281202 and is reported as coming from an 88 GMC 4X4 1 ton
banks says they only made a kit for the 4 door cab in 88 and not the regular cab pickups.
The 4 door was the old style body which ran until 92 and the regular cab was the new style body.
Guess Im gonna have to quiz this fellow as to which truck his goodies came from.

Just having a tough time swallowing the $2300 price tag for a new Banks system !!!

Thanks for the input
Robyn

john8662
01-23-2007, 16:18
Just having a tough time swallowing the $2300 price tag for a new Banks system !!!

I thought you were getting the hook-up?
:rolleyes:

Robyn
01-23-2007, 16:56
HAAAAAAAAA
That was Hicup my friend

I had that quote and it included a lot of extra stuff the regular kit does not come with, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I have some information on a nice used Banks as well as watching some stuff on line.
I am a sucker for saving money ya know.
I love new stuff in the box but I have to look at the big picture and realize that if I can get some good used toys for half or less the money that will work fine that I can afford to do the whole project.

It may still come to a new kit but until I have thrashed out the particulars on these used ones I need to just be patient.

Patience is not one of my strong points either, but the thickness of my wallet tends to keep things in focus.