PDA

View Full Version : engine wont stop cranking

jgilbo17
01-21-2007, 13:34
i have a 1983 2wd gmc with a 6.2 diesel and th350. my problem is that when i hit the key the engine wont stop cranking untill the batts die or i get to the terminals in time and sometimes after i unhook the terminal i go to reconnect the terminal it starts cranking all over again. any help would be nice thanks

DmaxMaverick
01-21-2007, 13:52
Welcome to the Forums!

If you can duplicate this, set up so you can interupt the solenoid starter wire (S terminal on solenoid). Once it hangs, interupt that wire/connection. If it continues to crank, the problem will be the solenoid, or a hanging starter gear. If it stops, then the problem is the ign. switch, or you have a wire connection incorrect. If the problem surfaced w/o any changes by you or someone else, it won't be an incorrect connection problem. An ign. switch problem is caused by the acc. circuit feeding juice back to the start circuit, preventing the circuit from opening.

The starter field circuit will stay energized as long as the solenoid coil has juice, or the gear is held engaged. A likely cause of the gear hanging is loose starter starter bolts, or a broken/cracked starter nose housing. It will bind the pilot at the end, and prevent the gear from retracting. If your support bracket attached to the front of the starter (starter motor end, toward front of engine) is broken, loose, or missing, the starter housing is probably broken.

jgilbo17
01-21-2007, 15:40
thanks i will try what you have said.