PDA

View Full Version : Intake not seated

DA BIG ONE
01-20-2007, 02:44
I'm installing a new IP and Phaser timing gears.

While disassembling intake I find it has a leak at # 8 clyinder. History: "intake was installed at dealer with a little metal bracket stuck between head and intake sometime ago". Anyway, should I be concerned, or?

rameye
01-20-2007, 08:09
I've run mine without the intake on several occasions..I'm getting smarter..when I do a pump change I fire it up without the intake. It is such a bear to put on and off.

2 things that aren't happening is :

1) Unfiltered air is entering the engine...never good

2) Most importantly for me is that the intake makes the seal for your turbo boost. Bad seal...reduced boost, reduced performance.

My .02

93_Burrito
01-20-2007, 12:33
DA BIG ONE,

The "little metal bracket" most likely was 1 of the 2 tabs that secures the hard fuel return line. The line is small and black, not much thicker than a coat hanger, and runs along the passenger side of the engine valley. The 2 tabs are supposed to rest above the intake manifold and be held in place with 2 of the 16 bolts that fasten the manifold to the cylinder heads. It's not a big deal but because that area tends to be dark while working there, you may scratch your head if you're having trouble getting the manifold to seat without gaps... chances are those tabs got between the cylinder head and manifold.

DA BIG ONE
01-20-2007, 13:49
DA BIG ONE,

The "little metal bracket" most likely was 1 of the 2 tabs that secures the hard fuel return line. The line is small and black, not much thicker than a coat hanger, and runs along the passenger side of the engine valley. The 2 tabs are supposed to rest above the intake manifold and be held in place with 2 of the 16 bolts that fasten the manifold to the cylinder heads. It's not a big deal but because that area tends to be dark while working there, you may scratch your head if you're having trouble getting the manifold to seat without gaps... chances are those tabs got between the cylinder head and manifold.

Those are the tabs, I'll make sure they are above manifold this time around.

john8662
01-20-2007, 21:36
I've run mine without the intake on several occasions..I'm getting smarter..when I do a pump change I fire it up without the intake. It is such a bear to put on and off.

I know some local diesel mechanics that do this to make sure there are not injection pump leaks on the lines.

I strongly dis-agree with starting an engine w/o the entire intake installed.

Mainly due to the fact that most engines are pretty dirty, and dirt by an intake port will likely find itself into the port and into the engine at some point.

Dirt and Heat are the 2 most common enemies for an engine...

J

rameye
01-22-2007, 06:46
I dont run it for extended time periods...dont get me wrong.

However...making sure it fires up and I haven't goofed (amatuer here) line sequence, wiring, loose hose etc.. just saves hours.

After just putting together a rebuild gone bad, I cant explain how frustrating it was to break it ALL the way down again.

Clarification...for diagnostic purposes only.

john8662
01-22-2007, 14:42
I dont run it for extended time periods...dont get me wrong.

However...making sure it fires up and I haven't goofed (amatuer here) line sequence, wiring, loose hose etc.. just saves hours.

After just putting together a rebuild gone bad, I cant explain how frustrating it was to break it ALL the way down again.

Clarification...for diagnostic purposes only.

You're in good company, no problemo.

J

DA BIG ONE
03-15-2007, 09:21
I've had driven the burb under all conditions since replacement of IP & install of phaser gears with the intake now being properly seated my EGT's no longer climb past 1k pre turbo @ WOT.

Getting use to the rattle of the -1.9 TDCO

rameye
03-15-2007, 17:36
how bad was the phazer gear set to install???

I might have to remove the front cover for some other issues....was it a bear??

thanks

DA BIG ONE
03-15-2007, 18:06
how bad was the phazer gear set to install???

I might have to remove the front cover for some other issues....was it a bear??

thanks

Worth any effort IMHO, got mine @ JK's................