PDA

View Full Version : HELP -ABS and 4WD Service Lights On and I'm Stuck In 4WD_Auto!

TurboDiverArt
01-19-2007, 11:43
Hi All,

As some of you may know I

joed
01-19-2007, 18:14
I've got Carcode, and yes you'll be able to read/clear codes and monitor a bunch of sensors. Also, you can set the timing and some other advanced tests, shut the injectors off one by one, etc. Plus you can use it on other vehicles as well, depending on the package (cable) you get with it.

I've had it a couple years and like it. It seems to be one of the better values around for 6.5 specific info, at least when I shopped for it.

Hope that helps. Joe.

DA BIG ONE
01-20-2007, 02:55
Art, "the autotrac feature requires that the ABS works properly". I'm thinking you have nothing wrong w/autotrac other than bad ABS signal.

There are 3 speed sensors on the AutoTrac NP-246 t-case, 1) for sensing frt driveshaft speed, 2) for sensing rear driveshaft speed, 3) of vss signal.

The ABS sensors feed individual wheel speed to t-case controller for autotrac.

Robyn
01-20-2007, 10:11
Not well versed on the autotrac but I understand the concept.
Can you remove the fuse from the ABS system and give it a go.
It will most likely give you a code but may allow the thing to get back to 2WD

Probably need to get the codes pulled and see whats up with the beast.

TurboDiverArt
01-23-2007, 09:04
Hi all,

Sorry, I thought I updated this post. I did get it back into 2WD. After trying a number of different things I pushed in and held the 2WD drive button and turned the key to the on position. The auto-trac did its usual flashing of the neutral light and then the 2WD-4WD selectors. I held the 2WD the entire time. When it stopped the light on the 2WD was on and the "Service 4WD" light was off. I'm OK on that front!

Does anyone know if Car Code will point me to why the ABS light is on? Will the ABS light set a code in the computer memory telling me which of the various sensors is bad (assuming that's the problem)? If so I

joed
01-23-2007, 13:56
Knock on wood, I've never had any ABS codes. I seem to recall that Carcode will list ABS type codes (I'm not at my computer that has it installed). I know it has choices to list just certain system codes or all codes.

I just looked at my alldata account - it does list several ABS system codes for my 98 that seem to pinpoint the different sensors and discusses the troubleshooting for each, so if there's a code stored it should help isolate the problem.

Joe.

TurboDiverArt
01-23-2007, 15:09
Knock on wood, I've never had any ABS codes. I seem to recall that Carcode will list ABS type codes (I'm not at my computer that has it installed). I know it has choices to list just certain system codes or all codes.

I just looked at my alldata account - it does list several ABS system codes for my 98 that seem to pinpoint the different sensors and discusses the troubleshooting for each, so if there's a code stored it should help isolate the problem.

Joe.
Your thinking that if ODB2 categorized ABS codes that Car Code should capture them from the PCM?

Art.

joed
01-23-2007, 16:07
Yes. I'll try and check mine to be sure. Since your ABS light came on, there's a good chance a code is stored.

To be sure, you could email Carcode to see if it can read the ABS codes.

Joe.

joed
01-26-2007, 09:21
Carcode does have the option of checking for ABS system codes - it's under the "enhanced" pulldown for the codes tab.

If you end up getting it and read the codes, I'll be glad to help decipher what they mean.

Joe.

TurboDiverArt
01-26-2007, 09:47
Carcode does have the option of checking for ABS system codes - it's under the "enhanced" pulldown for the codes tab.

If you end up getting it and read the codes, I'll be glad to help decipher what they mean.

Joe.
Thanks!! I appreciate it!

Art.