PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Controller Options

C.K. Piquup
01-18-2007, 21:44
Hi,It`s been a long time since I`ve been on "The Page".I`m looking to give my 18:1 motor more cycle time and thought I remembered a programmable controller offered by a vendor.Now,I can`t find anyone offering these.Any scoop on these would be appreciated.

Tough Guy
01-18-2007, 22:21
Hi,It`s been a long time since I`ve been on "The Page".I`m looking to give my 18:1 motor more cycle time and thought I remembered a programmable controller offered by a vendor.Now,I can`t find anyone offering these.Any scoop on these would be appreciated.

Glad to have you back.

Try Peninsular Diesel

Chris

C.K. Piquup
01-18-2007, 22:33
Thanks for the welcome.I just checked Peninsular earlier.Their site is revamped and mostly under construction.I didn`t even find a parts section.BTW,that`s why I want more "glow-time",my truck has one of their 300HP motors.

Tough Guy
01-18-2007, 22:35
Give them a phone call. I'm sure they will take care of you.

Chris

john8662
01-19-2007, 00:42
Chris is right, Peninsular does have the adjustable glow controller. It's mainly used on pre-94 trucks.

Comes with some good instructions too.

I bought mine used so I don't know what the price is new, but they do have 'em.

J

C.K. Piquup
01-19-2007, 05:29
Thanks,John.I`ll give them a call.I thought I remembered it being them offering those.I have a miles vs age glow plug problem.

*Jan`04:New Peninsular 300HP in my`95.I noticed the colder nature of the 18:1s,learned to cycle plugs a couple few times and plugged in overnight.
*Oct`04:Truck totaled in accident.approx.15,000mi.on motor.
*Jan`05:Installed motor in`92,but took `til April to put truck on the road.This truck had been sitting for a couple years needing fuel system rebuild.
*April`05:Got tags.I felt the truck lacked the power I remembered from the heavier`95.I took it on an 800mi. round trip,mostly interstate.At my destination the truck wouldn`t idle while manuvering trailer to load.On the return trip,on the interstate,if I let off the throttle at all it stalled.So,it took some technique to make it home.(ride the brake/keep throttle the same,if I couldn`t pass or going downhill).Once home,truck would not start and had to wait`til...
*April`06:Diagnosed bad injector pump.The shop I had it at took forever to pull the diagnose,remove pump,then install once I got the pump back from Peninsular(rebuilt).I think bad old fuel with alot of water was the cause of the early failure.Although I had filled with fresh fuel when trying to get truck started before decidin to take to a shop.The tube in the fuel filter/heater was swelled and split from freezing water as a tell-tale,so that`s new.
*Jan`07:Finally have truck back and running great.It won`t start cold.I tested the glow plugs and they checked out OK(test light).So,I took it back to have the shop check out the new fuel heater.It`s OK and they tested the glow plugs(meter),then cleaned contacts and got higher readings.They removed some plugs and tested and sad they heated real slow and deducted that I need plugs and controller.I declined and now want to try longer cycle times before going to any new plugs.

LanduytG
01-19-2007, 15:57

Right here is what you need. http://thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=26082

Greg

C.K. Piquup
01-19-2007, 19:00
You got me!LOL...PM me you address and shipping to 21771 and I`ll send it on.Is a Bank Of America money order ok?I`ve never had a problem with them buying alot of parts for my older trucks on another website.LMK,thanks.