PDA

View Full Version : Diesel to Gas??????????

crazy2
01-16-2007, 23:15
:( Please dont shoot me, but thelongevity and constant problems out of my 6.5 now has me looking at other options. I posted A while back on some other boards and got intermitent responses. I also have beenin the hospital with a medical problem(back) and we just had a new baby 2 kids now yea!!!!!!!!
Anyway my trck is a 94 GMC 2500 2wd 6.5 t auto. The engine blew and I have a small block chevy 350 ouot of my suburban that was totaled. Can I swap that engine in and what will I need. From what I hear I just need a different standalone computer for the trans and gas tc. Sorry for the long post. I would love to keep it diesel just not feasible.:(

More Power
01-17-2007, 00:48
How much do you figure you'll be into a gas swap, by the time you've acquired the gas engine, all engine accessories, accessory belt-drive brackets, TCM & trans harness, air box, throttle pedal/cable assy, made the wiring changes, and so on?

I was encouraged by a mechanic friend (and non diesel owner) to go the gas route back in the early 90's when my 6.2L diesel experienced a problem. After adding up all the costs of a gas conversion, I went with what "I" really wanted, and rebuilt the 6.2 for less money. The cost of converting doesn't end once you're driving the vehicle with the gas engine. The ongoing fuel economy and performance differences should be factored in as well.

Jim

john8662
01-17-2007, 14:34
Trade the truck off and the parts suburban and purchase something else, IMHO.

The swaps if done correctly are costly. If a complete swap of everything isn't done, then the vehicle will never be 100% and will be very difficult to sell later on, and service with the gas engine.

Worthy question to ask though!

J

crazy2
01-17-2007, 22:04
Can I count on reliabilitywit the 6.5 I have heard way many horror stories. If I keep the 6.5 Can I dump the turbo?

Bnave95
01-19-2007, 07:08
But the storys about the 6.5 TD we read are few compaired to the ones that have been on the road for many mile with only a few problem.
Once I understood the working of the 6.5, I have been able to lession the chance of problems and if they occur are eazy to fix.
This could of only happend with being a member of The Diesel Page.
Today we have supplyers of 6.5 that are really good built units.
I question the 6.5 back in 98,first diesel truck and was having alot of trouble.
Learning about the 94-95 IP issue has made the truck very reliable. Plus the upgrades.
I would leave a diesel a diesel and repair or trade/part out and buy another truck.

crazy2
01-19-2007, 09:52
Ithink I will keep it a diesel and just try to put it back together I am sure I have a hole in a piston and it blew a headgasket also. Thanks. By the way what kind of problems are there with the injection pump?

Bnave95
01-21-2007, 07:41
Ithink I will keep it a diesel and just try to put it back together I am sure I have a hole in a piston and it blew a headgasket also. Thanks. By the way what kind of problems are there with the injection pump?
When the IP is of sound mine, good pump, the issues will run into the PMD. Pump mounted driver.
Pull the Eng. Read up on block and head cracking. Take the rebuild from there. Good luck;)
Keep a diesel a diesel :D