PDA

View Full Version : Injector replace on 6.5

Dvldog 8793
01-11-2004, 12:46
Howdy
I'm going to be replacing my injectors soon and was wondering if anyone has any hints or tips. Thanks in advance!
Conley

MikeC
01-11-2004, 13:08
Conley,

Try searching the forums. There are many existing discussions about how to do and what to use.

Mike

Marty Lau
01-12-2004, 12:46
I just did mine this weekend.
1. Take off the turbo it not that tough and makes it easier.
2. If you need glow plugs do it at the same time.
3. You need a Injector socket, I think I paid $30 from a Snapon guy. It's 32 mm and has a hex on it which you need for one or two as you can't get a ratchet on on a couple of injectors.
4. Make sure your in a good mood to start.
5. Torque to 50 ftlbs.
6. Make sure you hold your tounge just so and your hanging right.

TurboDiverArt
01-12-2004, 14:20
Regarding the needed Injector socket. Seems one of the things that's needed, as a feature of the correct socket, is a hex on the end so you can put a wrench on it.

My racecar headers don't allow for the use of a ratchet or wrench on the socket to get to the 3 plugs on the turbo side. It's a real PITA. Now they are 5/8" sparkplugs but the theory is the same. What I did was get a 12-point deep 5/8" socket. I then ground down the side at the end so it's flat (maybe

Marty Lau
01-12-2004, 15:58
I looked around and seemed like the only thing I could come close with was the SnapOn socket. Parts houses only went to 30mm along with a tool shop. Maybe Mac has them for a couple bucks less.
I figured I got the injectors on sale so the saving about covered the socket. The Socket also works on the by pass fitting on the therostat housing. If you can find a 32mm deepwell socket might work but can't be too deep.

TurboDiverArt
01-12-2004, 17:48
Never too deep, that's what they make band saws for! Next to my welder I think my band saw is my favorite tool. I think I have too many toys...

I think I remember someone saying that AutoZone has this socket, it's specifically made as an "injector socket". I looked on the autozone site but they don't list one that big. Snap On has it but it's like $40.

Thanks,
Art.

tom.mcinerney
01-12-2004, 19:55
A 12-point may not work on injectors; they have rounded corners...rest of idea sounds good. I use a socket intended for front axle nut, but no flats, no frills!

TurboDiverArt
01-13-2004, 03:51
I would have thought that a front axle socket would not be deep enough? I've got a 36mm axle socket for a late 80's generation Jeep Cherokee and I'd imagine it's not deep enough. I haven't seen a Diesel injector so I don

Jim P
01-13-2004, 07:10
I used a 30 mm deep socket that I bought at autozone. It does not have a hex at the top but I didn't have any trouble using a ratchet as long as I put the socket on the injector first and then put the ratchet in the socket.

turbovair
01-13-2004, 10:01
Ok,Im confused..Is it a 30MM or 32MM socket?Ive heard it expressed both ways. I need to but one also. Thanx.

Jim P
01-13-2004, 11:23
I just went out and looked at my socket. It is a 30 mm.

The socket also is necked down at the top and it would be very easy to grind a hex on the top. The socket was bought at autozone for around 8 or 9 dollars.

rjschoolcraft
01-13-2004, 20:15
Definitely 30 mm. No external hex required, if turbo is removed.

Marty Lau
01-14-2004, 13:42
Before replacing injectors check and see how many of the little spring hose clamps they gave you in the kit for instalation. In mine there was 2 with new return lines. So we had to be carefull to not mess up more than two.

cruzer
01-15-2004, 10:15
Get Kennedy's install kit. His return lines don't require little clamps, they just push on and your done.

Marty Lau
01-15-2004, 11:17
Originally posted by cruzer:
Get Kennedy's install kit. His return lines don't require little clamps, they just push on and your done. I don't think I want any fuel line just pushed on, I think I rather have some sort of clamp on them. I don't know how much pressure they have but it sure would be a pain to try and get line that blew off on the passenger side near they fire wall.

Barry Nave
01-15-2004, 14:21
JK lines have worked now for over 3yrs.
Just try pulling them off :mad: