PDA

View Full Version : Cold startup/ glowplug trouble

tom yuenkel
01-16-2007, 12:27
I have 10,000 miles now since I rebuilt my engine in August. I used the DSG gear set and set the timing to 2.5* BTDC and all seemed ok at first. As Fall set in I began to see surging and harder starting and after doing the air check sure enough I found a leak on top of the tank. I fixed this and monitored it with the clear hose no leaks were found but it still started hard and you could hear some cylinders 'coming online' along with white smoke so I checked into some more and found two of my new "Quick heat" plugs were bad and I replaced them but it still starts the same way and so I continued to look into it. I am currently using the 5 ohm resistor to extend my glow plug cycle to 8 to 9 seconds. Next I tested the Glow plug wiring harness and it checked good ( .1 ohm max resistance measured) but I noticed voltage at the glowplugs measuring 10.9 to 11.2 volts. I decided to start fresh. I replace the controller with a brand new one along with all new connectors and retest all the glowplugs on Sunday before the weather hit. It still starts the same, Sunday nite I plugged it in overnight and it started good of course, but monday after work I was stranded, it wouldn't re start at all. I checked all the plugs and multiple plugs (6 to be exact) have gone dead and as you could imagine I'm confused. I removed them and replaced them with another "old set" that are the dual coil type but not wellmans to get it started and back home.
To recap, I have a new controller, it's the correct one and the cycle appears to function correctly, new connectors, low hr plugs and now almost all are dead.
Im confused and need some advise as to what to look at next.

john8662
01-17-2007, 13:45
Let's start with a complete set of AC-60g's from your local parts store, yes, you'll find even Autozone carries them.

I have lost ALL confidence in "Wellman" quick-heat plugs from ANY vendor.

Since you have used the ability to extend your glow time, you'll find that the 60G's work just fine.

You're right though, starting on 2 good hot plugs ain't enough, it'll leave you stranded. It takes at least 4 good plugs to get you going..

I had the same thing happen to me at work on day. Drove to work fine, but couldn't make it home because the QH's had Nearly ALL failed. I swapped in some old 9G's in the parking lot (the 4 I could get to easily, in a G-Van), and got home. It didn't start well with just 4.

J