PDA

View Full Version : Carcode?

DA BIG ONE
01-16-2007, 05:13
I'm getting the CARCODE scanner package, interesting it can set timing on the L-65, any of you use this scanner to do this? Any tips are welcome.

Shikaroka
01-17-2007, 11:07
I have the Carcode kit as well. I haven't had much time to fool with it and my laptop's battery is dead. I bought it because several people on here said it would set the timing. I hope to check it out soon.

joed
01-17-2007, 13:57
I've got Carcode and sucessfully used it to set TDC offset on my friends 98. There is an option for timing set, but I don't think it works on the newer OBD2 trucks - just the TDC option.

Before you start, make sure the engine is good and warm, up to operating temp, so that the timing won't be skewed by cold-advance.

Under Carcode it's a little hard to find: under the tests tab, then enhanced, then scroll down to find the TDC option. I believe you hit enable and then disable once you get the value you want. (In order to see this, you'll have to have another window open, the enhanced data window. I recommend only the TDC value or a couple others parameters active, so it shows instaneous numbers. If you have all the possible parameters reading, the reflash rate can be several seconds.) Also, be prepared to have to bump the IP to get the TDC you want - my experience has been it will jump to a positive TDC initially. It took me several iterations.

That's probably enough for now - you'll have to get familar with Carcode. You'll find that almost all the specific 6.5 info is under the "enhanced" pull down, e.g., for data you'll click data first, then enhanced, then gm, then L65 diesel, and so on...

Hope this helps. Let me know of more questions as you get familiar with it. Joe.

rjwest
01-18-2007, 08:58
I had better results by clearing the PCM with the key on//off method,
than verifing the TDCO was cleared, displayed as 0.0. Than letting the
pcm set the tdco as the coolant temps reached 170 degrees.

I have had the carcode for more than 3 years, good product, works on
most GM and updates are free...

DA BIG ONE
01-18-2007, 13:37
Thanks for input guys.....

Shikaroka
01-19-2007, 11:53
I had better results by clearing the PCM with the key on//off method,
than verifing the TDCO was cleared, displayed as 0.0. Than letting the
pcm set the tdco as the coolant temps reached 170 degrees.

I keep hearing about this "Key on/off method." But, I haven't find any details.
How do you do this? The PCM will set the TDCO on it's own?

rjwest
01-19-2007, 17:14
Pedal to the metal, hold it there.

turn on Ign, wait 45 seconds,

turn off ign, release pedal, wait 30 seconds...

when truck warms up, tdco will set, you can here stepper motor and
ign respond to reset...

note: sometimes the 'clear' procedure does not work?????
that's why i suggest reading tdco after reset procedure to be sure 0.0 is set

DA BIG ONE
02-03-2007, 11:27
I have TDCO reading of -1.9 for a setting is this good, or can I get it closer?

rjwest
02-03-2007, 18:12
I had mine set to -1.9,
much to much rattle in cold weather for me...
reset it to -.9
The comments on the forum are -1.94 max advance.

Note Carcode will only read +/- 2.5....

DA BIG ONE
02-03-2007, 21:20
I had mine set to -1.9,
much to much rattle in cold weather for me...
reset it to -.9
The comments on the forum are -1.94 max advance.

Note Carcode will only read +/- 2.5....

Mine rattles too but engine runs much smoother after installing new IP and Phaser timing gears. Will tinker some more to try to eliminate some rattle, or is it even worth it?