PDA

View Full Version : What style air filter

Bnave95
01-11-2007, 03:18
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-5-Turbo-Diesel-Air-Filter-Housing-GMC-GM-6-5L_W0QQitemZ200065475487QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38634QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Just happen to see this and wanted to know if this is the newer syle housing?
Seeing that I have a 95 I don't know what the new style looks like.
I just thought the new style needed a round filter.

garre1tt
01-11-2007, 04:15
I don't think that is right. My 97 had the new style with the round filter.
the 95 had the flat. But the 95 did not have the extra tube on the ducting.
It has been a couple of years but I though the filter duct to the turbo entered from the short side of the filter box and the intake from the fender came in from the long side.

I put mine in the trash. Did not know that there was a resale market on ebay.

Michael D

Bnave95
01-11-2007, 04:49
Round housing is what I thought. Mine is still flat style. We'll see what this was on and if it is any good for my 95?

Bnave95
01-11-2007, 04:52
I put mine in the trash. Did not know that there was a resale market on ebay.

Michael D[/QUOTE]
Taking about your 95 flat box filter?
No resale for the 94-95 box's.

DennisG01
01-11-2007, 07:22
The tubing looks similar to my '98 - but that housing is definitely different. As stated above, the newer ones have a rounded top to accomodate the round filter. Also, the outlet on the housing is at one of the ends since the housing sits differently in the truck - turn the housing that's in the picture 90* and that's how mine sits in the truck. So, look for one that has a rounded top and the outlet is at the end.

sailun
01-11-2007, 08:10
This exactly what I have in my '97 burb, I have a cylindrical Amsoil filter in it.
Looking at the picture, the protuberance in the 'front' of the box is what snaps into the fender, to pull cold air.

The rest of the intake assembly goes from the 'right-hand' side of the box, to the turbo. Filter slides over the big end of the intake, inside the box.

I'm running with the top off the box, also cut away quite a bit of the box on the fender side to draw more air over more of the filter surface.

If you run all closed up, you will get a solid dirt spot on the filter where you pull through the fender only. Great big filter, but only using a 3" portion of it.

It's not a good picture, you can't see that the box is really 8 to 10 inches deep, and that the filter element inside is very large. Much larger that the 'flat' filters.

It's gotta be way better than the flat panel filter arrangement, and way cheaper than a new intake system.

Makes for a better whistle, too !

DennisG01
01-11-2007, 12:56
Hmmm... Your '97 must be a different design than my '98. My '98 has the inlet and outlet holes at 90* to each other, not 180*.

On second thought, looking at that picture, how would that box even work? The outlet hole is going straight towards the turbo????

john8662
01-11-2007, 16:57
Appears as though the filter housing is upside down in the auction's image, that's why we're having a harder time identifying it :eek:

Yes, it looks as though it's the later 97+ housing.

But, since it's been posted here, other bid sharks are on it...

I feel it's a worthy upgrade, mainly for the satisfaction that the filter element actually seals properly and is not a source of dirt into the engine. The 92-96 housing has too many sources to allow unfiltered air into your engine.

DennisG01
01-11-2007, 18:32
But, if we're seeing the bottom of the housing, shouldn't we be seeing the things to mount it to the fender?

By the way, when I said "it looks like the inlet and outlet holes are at 180* to each other (on opposite sides of the housing as opposed to adjacent)" I was referring to what looks like, in the picture, an outlet flange. But it could just be a shadow. Look at the very top of the picture, just left of center and you'll see what I mean.

john8662
01-11-2007, 18:44
you're right, shucks...

The should be on the fender and the outlet at a 90 degree to that, not on the opposite side.

Maybe seller has the rest of the stuff?

DennisG01
01-11-2007, 19:43
OK, I was wrong. I just dug out my filter housing out of the attic to look at it (I should've done this first, instead of guessing since I haven't looked at it in about a year!)

That picture is the correct, 97+ air filter housing set-up. The white label that you see is just like on mine - that is the top of the housing. The "outlet lip/flange" I was referring to is just a protuberance of the housing. In the picture, we can't see the outlet opening, but it is located 90* counterclockwise of the inlet (which was correctly identified by John, above).

Sorry for making what should've been a simple answer into a long one! ;)

sturgeon-phish
01-12-2007, 02:40
'97 and up had the round filter. I've got a '96 and I sold it on ebay and bought a '97 on ebay and put it in. Just about broke even. If you do the math the round has more surface area.
Jim

Bnave95
01-12-2007, 09:42
I can use this design of the 97+ elbow with a cone filter and box the filter to the inter fender = cool air design.
The extra hose on the 97+ elbow goes to what?
Figured I exposed this filter and some one will get it,though now if I come across another one I know what it looks like.

DennisG01
01-12-2007, 10:18
The extra hose (I assume you mean the one that is in the lower part of that picture) is a turbo silencer. It silences the "turbo bark" effect. It's a whoooosh sound that you will hear when you let off the throttle (basically air coming back through the turbo in reverse). It's actually not a hose but a plastic, closed-ended tube (It doesn't connect to anything). There is a specific place to mount it, but if your truck doesn't have the mounting location, plastic zip-ties (or just about anything you can fab up) will be more than enough.

Did you try getting the part numbers from a dealer and then checking gmpartsdirect.com ?

john8662
01-12-2007, 12:04
The tube is the resonator.

On 92-95 pickups there isn't a provision to secure the tube. You can build a small bracket though, pretty simple to do, and it will be supported from the water crossover.

I'm no longer using the resonator on mine. I had a machinist turn down a piece of aluminum for a plug. The plug has a lip on both sides so it cannot be pushed out nor sucked into the intake, and is secured via a hose clamp. Some have used a freeze plug, not so secure.

I had two made, but only had use for one, any one interested?

J

sailun
01-13-2007, 05:39
Sure. I'll put it to use.