PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Injection Pump Removal

76chevyc10
01-10-2007, 08:59
I picked up a 6.2 engine it has a broken crankshaft, I removed the oil pan and discovered the crank is broken between the 4th and rear main crank bearings at the #7 connecting rod counter weight.

I need to remove the injection pump to get to the timing chain, this is my first diesel engine so tell me if I have this correct.

First I need to set the #1 piston to TDC, to be sure the #1 piston (not the #6) is at TDC the intake and exhaust valves on the #1 cylinder should both be closed and the timing mark on the injection pump gear and the cam gear should be aligned. As well as the timing mark on the harmonic balancer should be near 0 on the flange.

Next with the water pump already removed and the injection pump gear in view, scribe a mark on the front cover and the injection pump flange. Now remove the injection pump from the engine, as long as all these marks are aligned during reassembly the injection pump should be in time.

Do I have the procedure correct?

john8662
01-10-2007, 12:25
Don't worry about it...

Seriously, when re-assembling, all the gears are marked with timing dots and the IP only fits on the IP driven gear one way, you'll be fine.

Just rip 'er apart, remove waterpump backing plate and pump and you'll get access to the IP driven gear on a locked up engine. This engine will be taken apart completly?

J

76chevyc10
01-11-2007, 14:49
In the center of the injection pump gear is a push rod, is that rod held in by a clip or just pull it out?

john8662
01-11-2007, 16:49
In the center of the injection pump gear is a push rod, is that rod held in by a clip or just pull it out?

The knob? It's a dampner of sorts, it will pull out with the pump, it can also be pulled out of the shaft of the pump, it's just a spring on the other side.

J