PDA

View Full Version : ghost under the hood

macgiver
01-11-2004, 05:57
95 6.5 engine dash lights fail to come on most of the time- more likely to work when cold. Starter will turn, but unless lights come on fuel is not on , glow plugs dont work and engine will not start.. The failure of glow plugs/indicater light was the first to go and along w/this black smoke upon acceleration, Now if I can get started runs fine other than smoke but can not hardly get the ignition lihgt and fuel to cut back on after shutting off when hot--HELP :mad:

pannhead
01-11-2004, 07:32
sounds like more than just one culprit..i'd start with checking all fuses,battery connections,grounds, and harness connections..when you turn the key the dash lights should work,if not then maybe ignition switch or ground on rear passeger head and/or ground by your knees next to the diagnostic port...electrical gremlins are a PITA...good luck ;)

tom.mcinerney
01-11-2004, 20:52
Agree with Pannhead. Strongly suspect ignition sw.
Try it repetitively, imagine burnt contacts making/breaking on different pads. Try the 'search' feature, i think someone in past 3or6 months had identical experiences.

turbovair
01-12-2004, 11:21
Agree with TomMac95....wiggle ignition switch when engine running, if engine dies, replace switch assy. My truck did the same thing.It supplies power to EVERYTHING, including dash lights and glow circuit.Mine cost $180 at dealer.Problem long gone.Also see thread "No glow light, intermittent stalling"