PDA

View Full Version : Advanced timing

Mikeandwendy74
01-08-2007, 08:19
Quick question...will timing thats too far advanced cause a smoke situation? I'm working on getting all air leaks out but just curious, cus my ip marks are pretty far apart, with the pump being rotated towards the drivers side of the vehicle, thats advanced right? if you turn too far towards the drivers side what are some of the symptoms that you'll see? right now the truck starts with half throttle, lots of white smoke, no coolant loss, all glow plugs work great, then after it runs for a while the smoke diminishes a little.... hmmm any help is appreciated thanks.

john8662
01-08-2007, 11:36
You're correct that the timing will be advanced moving to the driver's side.

The smoke can be a few things, probably due to air in the system.

How much smoke are we talking about?

A small amount of white smoke under all running conditions of a 6.2 is normal, the kind you see faintly at night while in the light of the followers head lights at idle.

How smoothly is the engine running?

I'd suggest installing the clear line on the IP (instructions found at the top of the 6.2L forum on finding air in the system) and watching for bubbles.

If none, it's elsewhere.

How are the glowplugs? you mention having to start with @ least half-throttle.

J

Mikeandwendy74
01-09-2007, 20:02
glow plugs all work good...i'm thinking i might have a air situation. it smoke when its cold but not after it warms to operating temp. Strange I think i will look into sealing up the fuel system first.

Bnave95
01-10-2007, 12:11
The more advance the pump is, more rattle will be noticed. Some use this rattle to time the pumps.
Should add that this would be the DB-2 pumps.