PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 fuel sys questions

96ccdd
01-07-2007, 12:27
I'm starting to work on my X-Military K5 (CUCV m1009). I noticed the firewall mounted square fuel filter assembly is missing. Can I install some type of aftermarket assembly or should I stick with a factory assembly ? Also can I do away with the block mount fuel pp and install a elect frame mount instead ? If so what GPH should the pp be rated at ?

Thanks
Mark

DmaxMaverick
01-07-2007, 13:20
You can use any fuel filter system that fits the location and meets your requirements. Have a look at what the TDP Advertisers have to offer.

I am an advocate of the mechanical fuel pump. The are way less expensive than electrics, last longer, and perform better. Unless you have accessibility issues, a mechanical pump is a much better option. Adding an electric pump in addition to the mechanical is fine to help with priming, etc. A mechanical pump will follow fuel demand according to engine speed, where an electric only has an ability to pump up to its rated capacity. Adding an electric pump also requires the addition of a fail safe system. These fail safes have proven to be more problematic than the pumps themselves.

96ccdd
01-07-2007, 13:38
[QUOTE=DmaxMaverick]Adding an electric pump in addition to the mechanical is fine to help with priming, etc. QUOTE]

If I do install an elect pp to help prime, would you turn it off after the truck has started ?

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
01-07-2007, 13:47
Yes. Turn it off. You really won't need it with a primed system. By priming, I mean like after a fuel filter change or if the fuel system has been opened for any reason. Once primed, the mechanical pump won't leave you short. Anytime the engine is rotating, the mechanical pump will pump. An electric will save wear/tear on the starter after fuel system service. Many fuel filter assemblies have a manual priming pump, which would be my choice. I wouldn't even mess with the electric if that's an option.

96ccdd
01-07-2007, 19:47
Many thanks for the info.

Mark

96ccdd
01-09-2007, 11:41
What yr used the fram spin on stlye filter and how is it compared to the square type filter ?

Thanks