PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/fuel filter

polejockey65
01-07-2007, 03:57
Hello to all,
i need some help
I have changed my fuel filter dozens of times over the years.
but the last couple times i can't seem to get it sealed and it drips diesel after a couple of days or so .
I have changed it 4 times since Oct. i also could not find anything searching this forum. any ideas or sugestions? I think that i'm doing it correct but it still drips Just hit 311,000 km if this matters
Thanks Brian

DaveNY
01-07-2007, 08:21
Check to make sure the stainless ring from the previous filter is not on the plastic collar, simple but easy to overlook. I speak from experiance.
Dave

Hubert
01-07-2007, 08:22
Are you sure its the filter/gasket leaking or is it the fuel manager leaking. Some have had to replace the orings that seal the heater element or where the wiring passes through or something. Or you can replaced the whole manager.

Hopefully you ar not following GM's directions on filter replacement. Search on here some more there are several threads on filter changing. You really should clean out the bowl fully. Remove all of the old diesel fuel and wipe it down. Use a turkey baster, clean rag etc.

I have to climb up into the engine compartment and get situated. Push wiring back for more clearance and very carefully insert new filter. Look at the slots under the lip and align correctly it won't tolerate turning it until it drops in.

Make sure there is no metal ring or gasket from a previous filter. Make sure filter bowl sealing surface is clean. Make sure new filter seal is there and has not been disturbed. The gasket is very delicate. There is a thin metal ring that supports the rubber and it can come off easy. Take care removing it from box and plastic. Make sure your source of filters is not too rough on filters too.

Why don't you describe your procedure in detail and people will be glad to give constructive criticism.

polejockey65
01-18-2007, 03:05
Hello again
the first thing i do is open the pep cock to make sure the lp is working.
Then unsrew the cap and pull the old filter out and install the old one. i have never cleaned it out though but will on the next time or looked for an extra metal ring. then i get my wife to help bleed the new one in. the leek is comming from around the element where it mounts to the housing , just a little drip now. the last time i changed it and drove to work it was poring out and the mechanic at work put a wrench on it to stop the leek. should the screw nut be replaced now. I have replaced the filter 4 times in the last couple of months.. i will do a better inspection this weekend. thanks
Brian

Hubert
01-18-2007, 07:34
I've only ever hand tightened mine. I don't know; hard to say how tight that is - I am avg or less strength. It should not require much wrench force.

You'll have to look at the ring for any damage: crack, distorted, or scuffed threads etc etc.

There are some good tips in various threads. Thats a good idea to check LP before you start.

Its just good shop practice to clean bowl out. Once you pull old filter out all the cruddy diesel fuel in the bowl mixes together and can get to the outgoing port. Supposedly the seal on the new filter will seal against the heater stem and squeegie the crap away from the clean side of the filter but most don't believe it works that well.