PDA

View Full Version : will it run w/o the turbo?

robertb6963
01-06-2007, 16:36
im not sure if im posting this in the right spot but anyways...

got a '94 1/2ton 6.5turbo (yea half ton, pointless huh?) and the kid i bought it from took the turbo off to play with it i guess, but what im asking is will the truck run without the turbo? if it would how rough? i plan on getting a new turbo, just cant afford it right now ya know

gmctd
01-06-2007, 22:32
Welcome to the forum.............

It will run, but with black smoke and no power - PCM fuel rates are programmed for the turbo, but without the intelligence to realize the turbo system has failed, or has been removed.

It is driveable, but with little driveability.

Diesel Power Mag has an ad in the back for new GM-8 turbos for 650bucks

robertb6963
01-07-2007, 13:14
thanks gmctd

i got another turbo for free and put it on but there was alot of really thick oil(looked like grease guess it could be) in the inlet and filled up the smaller hose off the air cleaner, what could cause this? and are these turbos wastegated?

gmctd
01-07-2007, 13:26
That is crankcase blowby from the CDR cannister on the passenger-side valve-cover - it is the Diesel version of the PCV system, so that is normal.

Clean it with Diesel fuel or paint thinner or lacquer thinner, check turbine shaft for excessive clearances.

Wiggle the shaft side-to-side, up-and-down, in\out, see if the wheel\blades contact the compressor scroll, same on the turbine end - if not, bolt it on and go.

The shaft spins-down more freely only when the lubricating oil is hot - when cool, it may only turn twice or so.

Sure sign of coking is spin-resistance, cold or hot.

The GM-X series turbo is wastegated in the exhaust elbow - the GM-2-3-4 controller is bolted to the lower outside edge of the compressor housing, the -5-8 version is bolted to the exhaust elbow, around the wg arm.