PDA

View Full Version : Always keep your eyes and ears open.

darkroad
01-04-2007, 19:00
You never know where you might run into a good deal on diesel parts. Heard about a local machine shop going out of business so I went over to look at a sandblaster that was going to be auctioned off. Was talking to the owner and asked him if he had any 6.2 or 6.5 blocks. He replied no but he had some parts. With most everyone now building the newer diesels he said he would make me a good deal. I walked away with two standard 6.5 cranks , three 6.5 core cranks, three good roller camshafts , two set of rods and a new set of roller lifters. All for $100.00. That was my christmas present to myself. Set back on the shelf for later projects. It also pays to ask any of your buddies even if they only fool with gassers or hot rods, most know someone who has an old diesel motor or truck around somewhere. Even check the local scrap metal yards, around here they put all the motors into a pile and you can get a good deal if you talk to them right, some will even let you tear it down right there. Years ago when I was drag racing I went to a scrap metal yard in a town who had a well known machine shop and found several sets of ported and polished angle plug sb chevy heads that had small cracks in the seat area. I got them for $5.00 apiece and took them back to my shop and installed new seats in the cracked ones and ran them on my F Gasser for two years. I enjoy hearing about when one of you scores a good bargin. Got a complete banks setup for my 1990 suburban off e-bay about two months ago. Had 7000 miles on it and had been ordered upgraded with a TE06H banks turbo for a powerstroke. Had a reasonable buy it now so I jumped on it, had only been listed for a couple of hours. Now just need to build a new low compression short block and add all my new top end stuff.

Love hearing about Robyn's project Suburban

Darkroad

Robyn
01-07-2007, 10:43
Me too
Thanks

I am looking for a Banks setup for the project.
Messing with the very nice (Working) Ac system is not an option.
I am snooping for a good Banks kit, preferably used.

I am also toying with the idea of building a custom RH manifold to move things North some to clear the AC.
If I do this I want to retain the rear feed for the crossover and that will eliminate the need for the aftermarket lower radiator hose.

If I build my own manifold I can use the original 92/93 GM turbo and just build my own air tubes to get the Blow into the engine.
One of the off the shelf air cleaners that are sold from several places should do the trick.

Probably run a 3-1/2" straight exhaust out the back.
Saw one yesterday done this way and the little creature was fairly quiet even without a muffler.

I have my Hummer project that has all the accessories on the engine and the frame on the 82 and 91 Burbs are the same.

I can build my exhaust manifold right there. The frontend on the Hummer tilts and there is nothing in the road so it would be a great way to custom build it.

I can mock it all up and make sure the stuff all clears things and then bolt the pieces on an old head and weld it up.

Hmmmmmmm Sounds easy enough.

If I weld everything up in place on a head then let it cool I can then unbolt it and stick it in the mill and take a light cut on the flanges to true everything up.

Thinking about using a piece of heavy wall box tubing and fabricating the thing.
This will be a custom unit all the way but I think its feasable for a lot less $$$$$ than a banks unit.

Here we go again
Robyn