PDA

View Full Version : Photo of installed banks kit

aloharovers
01-02-2007, 14:17
Anyone have a top down shot of a banks turbo installed?

Trying to get an idea of wether or not I will be able to make one fit in the rover before I buy one.

78Chev
01-02-2007, 17:56
Here's mine in my 78 chev.
Randy

aloharovers
01-02-2007, 18:27
Awesome!!
Thank you.
I was worried the turbo was located further to the rear. That looks like it will work perfectly. Now to save up some $$ :D

JeepSJ
01-03-2007, 10:47
The kits for the later body style does mount the turbo further to the rear and above the exhaust manifold, similar to a stock 6.5 setup. The kit pictured is for the early body style.

aloharovers
01-04-2007, 11:20
The kits for the later body style does mount the turbo further to the rear and above the exhaust manifold, similar to a stock 6.5 setup. The kit pictured is for the early body style.

Ahh, very good to know. The back have of the bay is very narrow, no room for a mid mounted turbo.

arveetek
01-04-2007, 11:52
I'm not using the Banks Turbo, but I am using their manifold and crossover pipe:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1344551489029465272jWOuNA

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1344550942029465272eJDAOV

Casey

aloharovers
01-04-2007, 12:50
Thanks Casey.
I think I am going to need to do a combination of kit and fab to get it all to fit.
The location of the turbo is good in your photos as far as front and rear. But would need to rotate the turbo so its more above the alternator.

arveetek
01-04-2007, 14:06
Thanks Casey.

But would need to rotate the turbo so its more above the alternator.

The Banks turbo has a different exhaust flange on it that mounts the turbo up higher. My turbo required an adapter to be made to bolt the turbo to the manifold. Since my turbo sits so low, I had to bend the inner wheel well a bit to gain some clearance.

Casey

aloharovers
01-04-2007, 14:36
The Banks turbo has a different exhaust flange on it that mounts the turbo up higher. My turbo required an adapter to be made to bolt the turbo to the manifold. Since my turbo sits so low, I had to bend the inner wheel well a bit to gain some clearance.

Casey

Thanks.

Am I right, that the distance between the manifold itself and the turbo isn't that important?
Just thinking that if a custom flange is needed to get the turbo situated, as long as the tubes can be made to line up, the actual location of the turbo doesn't matter..

UGLYTRUK
01-10-2007, 00:32
In a '68 Sub...

aloharovers
01-10-2007, 09:58
Hijacking my own thread here :D

Ugly have any photos of the vehicle?
I love the old body style subs.

I wish my other half wasn't so insistant on have a plush comfy interior. We will probably end up getting a late 90's 6.5 sub but I would love to build a late 60's one. Really think it would be cool to shorten one and make my own '68 4 door 'Yukon'

arveetek
01-10-2007, 10:39
Thanks.

Am I right, that the distance between the manifold itself and the turbo isn't that important?
Just thinking that if a custom flange is needed to get the turbo situated, as long as the tubes can be made to line up, the actual location of the turbo doesn't matter..

Yes, you're correct. When I installed my turbo, I made a mock-up of the pressure tube out of ABS plastic pipe, and then I went to the muffler shop and had them weld and bend a new tube for me.

Pic of pressure tube. (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1157778798029465272zGFflO)

Here's a whole album of my turbo install:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/153303040IeQyIu

Casey

aloharovers
01-10-2007, 10:47
Excellent.
Thanks again Casey.
I don't really know yet if I will go the Turbo route with the Rover, but it's nice to know that it looks like I will be able to if I want.

I am actually at the begining stages of a new build of the vehicle itself. Going to stretch the wheel base so I have room for seats in the back for the kids, and correct some things I don't like about the current truck. I have been able to gather up almost a complete collection of parts, so Basically building up a new frame and suspension and majority of the body parts. When its all done will move the engine/tranny/xfer, the doors, and front window over.