PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 engine with broken crankshaft

76chevyc10
01-01-2007, 15:16
I came across a complete 6.2 diesel engine the guy says it runs but he thinks it has a broken crankshaft. Is an engine with a broken crank fixable or is the engine a total loss? I haven't looked at the engine yet I want to find out if its worth the 150 bucks he's asking. What say you?

kconnair
01-01-2007, 15:28
A few years ago, I bought a 6.2 Suburban - pretty good runner - came with two spare engines. One is intact, and the previous owner said so, the other "just stopped at a traffic light". Well I recently pulled that engine apart - found the block and heads were ok. Balancer was bad. Crank broke at the 2nd counterweight just in front of the 2nd main journal (could see the oil passage). Piston closest to the counterweight was worn on the underside. Other than that, the rods, pistons, block, main caps etc. looked fine. Replace the crank, 1 piston, hone it, put new rings and bearings, and it would be back in business. I was kind of suprised that the broken crank did so little damage to the rest of the engine.

Kevin.

gmctd
01-01-2007, 18:20
Pull the pan, wipe the mains webbing, check for varicose veins indicating disintegration.

sidehackbob
01-04-2007, 18:48
Years ago I bought an 82 burb 6.2 DOA.. Planned to drag it home and install gasser. pulled the engine found a broke crank buddy stops by for a brewski and says, Ive got a crank at the shop! Checked the block close, dropped in the std crank on fresh bearings, drove it 80K and I still see it running around 10years later.

76chevyc10
01-15-2007, 15:05
I didn't get lucky with this one. After removing the rod bearings, main bearings and the broken piece of crankshaft I discovered the block is cracked under the #3 & # 4 crank bearing caps.

Looks like my project engine comes to an end for now, I'm going back on the hunt for another 6.2.

I posted a photo at: http://dept.150m.com/diesel.html

john8662
01-17-2007, 13:49
Yep, game over.

that's a nasty main crack, but which came first?

I suspect the crack, then crank flexed too much, then broke.

Robyn
01-17-2007, 17:51
I have a J block sitting here in a crate thats a good one. (BARE)
Let me know.
You will still need a crank though, but you could canibalize the broken one for everything else.

kconnair
01-17-2007, 20:44
I will probably be getting rid of one of my spare 6.2 blocks soon. Where do you live? Once I decide, I will let go of it reasonably. If you live near Ohio it might be worth it.... If you need rods, I have a good set too.

Kevin.

76chevyc10
01-18-2007, 13:07
Right now I have a lead on a block and crank in North Carolina, I hope to get this one I'll be able to go pick it up. If this lead falls through I may need yours but I'm located in North Florida, I don't know what it would cost to ship a block, how much do you think it weighs?

76chevyc10
01-20-2007, 14:29
I lucked out...A Daytona Beach used car dealer has a 84 chevy 6.2 diesel suburban in excellent running condition with 170,000 miles on it. He's selling the motor out of it because the body is a pile of rust. I looked at yesterday and it sounds and runs great, I'll be picking it up next week.

It is the complete engine including air cleaner, starter, alternator, AC Pump, throttle cable, firewall mounted fuel filter, everything I need. This engine is clean and I plan to put it right into my 1976 project truck.

So thanks to all who offered parts.

kconnair
01-20-2007, 14:55
I would try and get the engine compartment wiring harness too - the glow plug harness, the wires to the solenoid on the driver's side fender, etc.

Kevin.

76chevyc10
01-21-2007, 17:07
Yea, I looked at the wiring harness and it really looked like a rats nest. A real mess. Even though the engine run the wiring looked like somebody did a butcher job, splices, and black electrical tape everywhere. But you make a good point, I just might grab it anyway when I pick up the engine.