PDA

View Full Version : Update on broken valve spring #7

kevin77
12-29-2006, 12:01
I had the broken valve spring on #7 causing loss of compression and cylinder imbalance. I decided to pull both heads and I found a crack in the head on #8 - right in between the intake and exhaust valve. I have new heads coming and I am going to install smaller precups in the new heads.

I inspected all of the cylinders in the block and you can still see all of the crosshatches in the cylinder wall - I take it that means I have minimal wear on the cylinder wall - engine has 205,000 miles on it. I am going to pull the engine out and put it back together on an engine stand and I'll see about replacing all the gaskets and seals that I can - Should I be replacing anything else while the engine is out - I'm thinking engine mounts, oil pump, main seals.

Kevin

Hubert
12-29-2006, 12:20
Follow Robyn replacement list when she posted on her freshen up build.

Water pump, timing chain or gears, injectors, glowplugs and what ever the plastic retainers are in the valve train?

Robyn
12-29-2006, 19:10
Yup steam it off and make it all pretty and hit it with a fresh rattle can of black.
Soft plugs
Rear main
Front seal
Timing gaskets
Timing chain
If oil pressure was ok Bearings are probably ok but if the $$$ are not an issue
check the bearings and roll in a new set of mains and rods.
Check the shells to see what size they are.
Probably a set of Standards will be fine.
Hoses
water pump
Rocker arm guide buttons (A must)
Injectors
IP gasket
Check out the turbo and clean it all out
New Oil pressure switch
New Coolant temp sensor
Engine temp sensor
Engine mounts (good time with the engine out)
Clean and flush the radiator and the heater core
Remove the radiator and clean any and all junk out from between the AC condenser.
New Crank sensor would be a nice touch
New head bolts (must do)

kevin77
01-02-2007, 20:59
I am leaving the camshaft, crank and pistons in - what is the best way to clean up the block?

Kevin

Robyn
01-02-2007, 21:39
Well I usually stem clean the engine before I take it apart.
If you already have it apart its tough to keep from contaminating the rest of the engine.
If you that far down yank it all the way and steam it out real good and then blow it dry.
Run a bottle brush hone down the bores and stuff in a set of rings and a set of bearings too.

You are so close it would be a shame to stop short.