PDA

View Full Version : Know a good 6.2/6.5 Mechanic in New Mexico?

gavio
12-27-2006, 10:29
Hi All:

I'm relocating from the Golden State over to New Mexico and have found that at altitude, my poor 6.2 is pinging like a bucket of bolts. I want to get the timing readjusted pronto, as I'm afraid it will damage itself if I drive it for too long like this (it's pretty bad, as it was probably already too advanced back in California - see story below, if interested).

Anybody know of somebody in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area (or elsewhere) who can help?

The story: Back in Cali, when I had my IP rebuilt recently, the van started smoking really badly, and my mechanic set the timing up a bit, I think, to compensate. I suspect that timing wasn't an issue, as probably the pump was just set to overfuel too much. I didn't think too much of it at the time, 'cuz I thought I'd read that altitude has the effect of retarding timing. Well, I 'm misremembering something, 'cuz it sure seems WAY too advanced up here, and I'm concerned. Insultingly enough, of course, it still smokes too much!

Both problems are exaggerated as it now has almost all petroleum diesel in the tank, as I am away from my usual stash of biodiesel, too.

Anyhow, I need to get it set so it runs well here, AND will still run OK at sea level, as I will be making several extended trips back there as well. I'd like to get the overfueling thing taken care of, too. I have no place to work, and many of my tools and resources are not about, so I'd like to just find someone who knows these things well enough to set me on track with a minimum of hassle.

Thanks, as always.

Gavio