PDA

View Full Version : new duramax owner

larryh1
12-27-2006, 07:27
Hello everyone. I am a new Druamax owner, 2007 2500HD, 4 WD, 1,400 miles, and also new to this forum. So far, from what I have seen, it is a great place. I am a past Ford 7.3 owner and was pleased with the truck but you can't beat a Chevy. I've had Chevy gas trucks in the past, this is my first Chevy diesel. This truck is so quiet and comfortable! It will be used mostly for pulling a toy hauler travel trailer. Can someone tell me how I tell if I have the LB7, LLY, LBZ or LMM motor, and what the difference is? And is there anything I should do to the truck right away?

Thank you
Larry

tbrowne
12-27-2006, 10:14
Welcome to the forum. I believe that your 2007 truck will have the LBZ engine - the LLM's will appear after the first of the year. For the moment, I'd just drive the truck and enjoy it. I'm one to follow the manufacturer's recommendations on maintenance but you'll get advice all over the place on that subject. I do think that adding a second fuel filter is a good idea if you intend to keep the truck for many miles. The OEM filter does a good job of getting the rocks out of the fuel, but a secondary filter will remove the gravel and sand. The engine will appreciate the extra filtration over the long haul.

Jackmchome
12-27-2006, 15:00
To confirm the LBZ - The 8th digit in the VIN will be a "D"

Mark Rinker
12-27-2006, 15:19
In addition to the normal break-in guidelines in your owner's manual, it is advised by most here to change your rear diff fluid after the first good pull, or the mileage in your owner's manual, whichever happens first. The break-in of the gears produce both heat and shavings, and since there is no filtration, its a good idea to get that stuff out soon. Synthetics are popular everywhere (diffs, xfer case, engine) except in the Allision, it needs ~30 quarts and most tend to simply change it often rather than spend the $$$ on synthetics there. Check out other posts and your owner's manual here to decide if/when you switch from convential to synthetic in the engine, its NOT recommended for break-in.

Welcome!

larryh1
12-28-2006, 17:30
okay, thanks everyone.

It has the D. I especially appreciate the info on the break in. I'm in this truck for the long haul (many years) and will use this info.

thanks again
Larry