PDA

View Full Version : New 6.5 blocks

Robyn
12-23-2006, 16:49
Well my search for a good Military 6.5 block ended in a dead end with just more scap Iron to look at.
Who sells new 6.5 blocks (Bare)

Hubert
12-23-2006, 20:30
Seen it posted a few times (by high count posters) that there is no off the shelf source of the new AMG blocks bare. Hope I am wrong but my thoughts....

I figure its marketing and economics based. AMG probably can add the cranks, bearings and odds and ends dirt cheap (at thier volume) and sell minimum the short block assembly ready for heads etc for better profit margin than just a bare block ???? Or similarly the block casting and machining are the bottleneck in production anyway so all get assembled???

Lastly maybe while I am sure you can assemble a from scratch build up very well most dealers and repair shops see it as just another possible error on a tech's part and would rather replace with a factory assembly.

DmaxMaverick
12-24-2006, 00:35
To date, AMG only delivers long blocks, and to very limited distributors. Peninsular is one of them, and you may get them to sell only a short block. They do not sell bare blocks, that I'm aware of. Give them a call to find out for sure. Matt is a very busy man, but once you get ahold of him, he is very helpful.

Robyn
12-24-2006, 10:43
Hmmm
This sounds about right.
I have talked to the guys at Peninsular before and they were great.
I will call them after the holliday and see if they can help.

I wonder what the GM stores sell in the way of Bare blocks??

NYCEGUY01
12-24-2006, 11:47
robyn check your pm box

DmaxMaverick
12-24-2006, 12:14
......I wonder what the GM stores sell in the way of Bare blocks??

I think it's the same story. They don't.

I'd like to get one as well, but no luck.....Yet.

Robyn
12-24-2006, 12:47
I just posted a WANT ad on Craigs list for a block
We shall see what shakes out of the trees.
I called the GM store yesterday and the cost for a bare block exceeds what I have in the budgit for the whole project.
When I did the other Burb last summer I bought duplicates on some of the parts, such as bearings and rings so I am 1 up on some things.

I will most likely get a set of Clearwater heads so I dont have to sweat using the old heads and end up with a leaker. (Both of the 6.5's are showing cracks)
Gaskets and a few incidentals should get it together.
Yup I even have a couple rattle cans of paint left to finish it off.

If this quest turns into a mess I may build a 6.2 block and use the turbo and such on it.
I have a fresh set of squirts and a fresh J pump sitting on the shelf and the fellow who sold my the dead 6.5 has a nice .030 6.2 block with a crank in it.
(RED ENGINE) May take that as payment for the bad 6.5???

I just happen to have a set of rods with .030 pistons that look to be new also sitting on the shelf.

(Late night ebay snipe job for $25 for the pistons and rods)

Not sure yet and many options to look at.

Thanks
Robyn

simon
01-09-2007, 21:15
Hi there.
for all it is worth,there is a shop in manitoba advertizing new high nickel am general 6.5 hummer engines for $ 7500 can, if that is what you are looking for
give them a call at 204-532-2187, he might have bare blocks too?