PDA

View Full Version : I'm DD'ing my 6.2L CUCV unexpectedly, have questions

AJMBLAZER
12-21-2006, 06:37
These may be dumb questions but here goes:

How do I check the oil? I guess I mean how long should I wait after shut down? The guy that sold it to me said I needed to wait a while after driving it because of the large oil cooler in the radiator. However a lot of his info has been questionable so now I'm a bit confused.

What's the oil capacity of the CUCV's? 7 qts like the civy trucks or 8 qts like the previously mentioned seller said.

Is it normal for one tailpipe to puff more than the other? Aat start up A LOT more smoke comes out of the driver's side than the passenger's side. If I stomp on it or something while driving it seems to be more balanced but it still seems like a bit more comes out of the d-side pipe.

Any other tips for daily driving a 6.2L would be great. This was supposed to be my toy/occasional work/tow truck but then my wife was involved in an accident and she's driving my DD. So Big Ugly is driving every day now.

Robyn
12-21-2006, 10:14
First thing in the morning is a great time to check the oil with the engine cold.

On a warm engine wait about 2-3 minutes to check it, this is plenty of time for the oil to finish draining into the pan and give you a good reading.

Depending on the condition of the engine one side can smoke more than the other.
As long as its running good once it gets a little heat in it dont sweat it.

More Power
12-21-2006, 11:55
The eight fuel injectors are all individuals. One of them might not be atomizing fuel as well as the others - or, compression might not be equal among all eight cyls. Like Robyn said, if the engine runs well and smokes more balanced when warmed up, the problem isn't ciritical. :)

Jim

HammerWerf
12-22-2006, 12:38
Smoke on start-up in the morning. I have the same thing on my 83CC. I know I have 2 non-operating Glowplugs in my engine. On a cold morning startup I get smoke on both sides. I also have one glowplug I'm not completely sure about ( bosch) mounted on the passenger side. On a cold day start I tend to get more smoke frome the passenger side. I am not sure about the condition of the injectors or IP. Bought the truck used, and the prior owner can't remember the year he had the IP rebuilt. Unknown age/mileage on the injectors right now. Kids joke about being my own Mosquito control district in the winter. Come to think about it, I haven't seen one for a while.

Everything else mentioned could be in play at the same time. Sort through them one at a time, doing the cheapest ones first. A little bit of time under the hood with a VOM meter will tell you the state of the glowplugs. I think the resistance value of a good glowplug is between 0-5 ohms. Somebody correct me if this range is wrong.

HammerWerf

AJMBLAZER
12-22-2006, 16:26
I've been thinking about some good aftermarket glowplugs. The thing only has 52k on it and starts almost always on the first try and if not then always on the second try. They're probably the 20-yr old stockers.

Glad to know it's nothing to be overly worried about. Thanks guys. I checked the oil after I wrote this and found it just slightly below full so I guess it doesn't use much oil.