PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend good Maint. Books

rtphillips370
12-20-2006, 02:28
I have been a member for sometime now and remember some others suggesting specific books for the DIY back yard mechanic for the 6.5 turbo in various threads. I have one from I got from SS DIESEL that is made by Haynes (its sort of general and vague on most 6.5 work), are there any other books I should lay my hands on? I am planning on adding a new 4 inch exhaust, injectors, kennedy intercooler, ECM reflash, etc and want to make sure I have all of the proper books on hand to help me out with these mods as well as any other mechanical repairs etc.

I ve seen recommendations in the past and have tried to locate them but there are countless threads to go through, so if anyone has a moment, I would appreciate your manual / book recommendations, thanks ahead of time.

Dvldog8793
12-20-2006, 05:25
Howdy
Your best resource for "modification" information is probabaly going to be this site and it's printed material. ALL the hotrod mods have been covered at one time and are available in print. All the Haynes type books are going to cover basic engine/chasis repair and maintence. I use the Haynes, Chiltons and some misc shop manuals all in conjuction to help find problems. Mostly electrical issues. All the vendors of this site are great about helping with any problems relateing to their product and then some.
Hope this helps

L8r
Conley

DmaxMaverick
12-20-2006, 10:14
www.alldatadiy.com

Robyn
12-20-2006, 10:43
If you are in need of factory manuals. (The real ones)
Call Helm and order them vehicle specific.
They are on line too im sure

DmaxMaverick
12-20-2006, 11:07
You can get the Helms manuals at www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com) . They are the same manuals as alldata, but alldata is way less expensive, is online and searchable. Alldata also includes all bulletins and recalls, and is kept current. Once you buy a printed manual, you will have to purchase supplementals to stay current. If you must have a printed manual, buy the Helm. Don't waste your time (and $) on Haynes, Chilton's, or any other. Helm/Alldata is the same manual used by GM dealer shops, for what that's worth.