PDA

View Full Version : No "Wait to Start" Light/ Intermitten

HudB1
01-10-2004, 07:56
Any idea's would be helpful. This occurs maybe once every few weeks or so. Both battery's are in excellent shape as well as cables. I replaced the Glow plug relay, and added an 1 gauge ground strap from intake to firewall. Also swapped ign relay for AC relay.
When this occurs I shot for power at the fuse box and relay,notta. There is power on one side of the relay. It will eventually come on after numerous cycling of the key in the switch and starts fine. I also pulled the (i think) the glow plug temp sensor on the water manifold to no avail. There is no associate with weather conditions or how long it sits.
There may an associated problem every blue moon I get an very dull batt light on the dash with no associated other indications, volts good. (however if the radio is on AM you can hear a static when the light flickers) It may be related not sure.
Thanks for the help
BobH

tom.mcinerney
01-11-2004, 21:22
See above post by 'Macgiver', "ghost under the hood"; try search for misc electrical, or glow problems.
What year/model/miles is this?
The AM radio certainly is reporting a poor connection.

HudB1
01-12-2004, 09:33
Thanks,
Its a 96 6.5 f code. I removed the grounds and claeaned them and installed a 1 gauge ground from rt rear cyl head to firewall. So far so good, ( I know I'm going to pay for that statement). But then again its so intermitten you think you have fixed until it happens again.
Thanks
BobH

turbovair
01-12-2004, 11:16
Check your ignition switch. With engine running wiggle the key in and out, back and forth. If engine dies, replace ignition switch assy.If it doesnt, well, you've ruled that out.My truck began stalling randomly(96, F code, 118,000 miles)and it turned out to be the switch/harness assy...$180 @ dealer.Got the info on this site and applied it. Worked for me. Good luck

HudB1
01-21-2004, 08:51
Well did it again yesterday. I've tried the wiggle the key thing and no change. Truck runs great when it starts, no stumble, stalling or any other symptons. Once it is started after the first start of the morning its fine all day.
I did notice yesterday when it acted up again the lift pump also did not give its intial buzz until I eventually got the Glow plug light to come on.
(I found the batt light problem. loose wire attahing to alt stud) actually thought I found the problem with the start but no luck. I'm ready to put this truck up for sale, never have had such aggravation from a vehicle.
If anyone has had simular problems I'd appreciate any inputs.
Thanks
BobH