PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Expert Needed

BillK
01-09-2004, 17:33
While slowly crawling up the on ramp to the freeway, I experienced an abrupt clunk like someone had run in to the back of my truck. Looking back, I didn't see anyone. It happened again a few seconds later.

The transmission shifts fine other than that. It's a little smooth on the shifts, but no apparent slipping. It seems like the torque converter may be locking up while I'm crawling real slow. Any transmission experts out there?

Uncle Wally
01-09-2004, 21:24
The first step is to pull codes to see what if anything is going wrong with the electronic controls/sensors.

Waldo

rameye
01-13-2004, 09:58
Mine did that twice..coming to a stop and then accelerating from a stop..then the torque converter blew.

Sometimes u-joints will clunk.

No expert here..hope it helps

RumRunneR
01-14-2004, 13:42
Heres one for ya, I changed a bad wastegate solenoid and now it seems the transmission is shifting differently. Sometimes it won't shift from 2nd to 3rd and will redline if I don't tap on the throttle. Changing the fluid and filter didn't seem to make a difference.

BillK
01-23-2004, 18:25
Definitely not U-Joints--sounded like someone ran in to my truck. Not a clunk. Only code thrown since I replaced IP is a wastegate solenoid (78) temporarily while I was accelerating up a long hill.

Uncle Wally
01-23-2004, 18:38
Depending on where the thunk came from, I would pull the torque converter inspection cover and make sure all is well there. No broken bolts or flex plate. I would also check to see if the motor mounts are obviously coming apart.

I know my truck does this every once in a while. But it's from the down pipe hitting the bottom of the cab. I installed JK's exhaust and the sandwiched seam at the leading edge of the cab hits the downpipe every now and again. That should be fixed soon.

Waldo

autocrosser
01-26-2004, 16:15
Have you tried shifting your trnasfer case. My son had a similar problem recently and it turned out to be a broken shift fork on the transfer case. He found it out when he tried to shift into 4wd.