PDA

View Full Version : A question to You 6.5 experts

bluuzman
12-11-2006, 14:05
Hi all!

I bought my truck about a year ago (182K driven). It has been running just
fine and it has now 200k on the odometer. Starts fine at -15C, have never tried at colder temps without Webasto. In addition to regular oil changes the only thing I've done is the front brake rotors that were really worn down.

The previous owners left very little to none service information.

Now the question:

If I performed a good basic service, not a complete rebuild, but still a reasonable service, what kind of actions You would recommend? Replacing injectors, glows, timing chain... or what? Just interested to know your opinion.

(I used to drive a Toyota 4WD truck (200k) for about 7 years - just replaced glows once when it did not want to start at -20C..)

-Ari

Hubert
12-11-2006, 19:02
what you said and ....

water pump, thermostats, coolant, check harmonic balancer, and replace front pulley. Clean radiator real good (you probably don't have overheating issues but it good maintenance).

Having said that at ~ 200K miles or km its a little like old plumbing once you touch one pipe you might have to replace what its connected to also. With any older vehicle if you are not spending money on it periodically then put money into a savings account you'll need it eventually.

Robyn
12-11-2006, 20:24
If you are serious about keeping the rig I would yank the engine to do the work and replace the soft plugs too as well as maybe a rear main and at that time do the timing chain and you can steam it off and do the pan and front cover as well as the front seal.
if the valve covers are leaking a tad you can do them easy while the lines are off doing the injectors.
Get the IP freshened too.

Spray it with some fresh paint and toss it back in.
OH and while you got the valve covers off replace the rocker arm guide buttons.

gmctd
12-11-2006, 21:41
What y'all said ^.....................