PDA

View Full Version : Intake Air Temperature Sender mounting location opinions?

john8662
08-17-2005, 18:24
I've got an IAT gauge on the way and am making preparations to install the sender (drill intake manifold sitting on kitchen table).

What I've got is a 1/4" NPT probe that looks VERY similar to the factory IAT sender thats mounted on the upper intake manifold piece (brass looking sender). Anyways, I was concerned with mounting the sender because I figured that it would need to be in the direct streem of airflow out of the turbo to get me a good reading. But, as usual, I wanted to ask here to catch someone in the "been there, done that" category. This is being installed w/o an intercooler of course.

Thanks!

tom.mcinerney
08-17-2005, 18:51
I haven't done it. But no concerns about avoiding flow by an aperture, as is case with pressure sender. Probably in neck or wherever is max turbulence is best.

Billman
08-18-2005, 02:46
Mine is mounted 'Dead Center' on upper manifold.

If I had to guess, it's about 12" downstream of where I cut off for Intercooler. I wanted to mount IAT sender far enough down to give water injection a chance to cool intake charge when activated before taking a reading.

Barry Nave
08-18-2005, 04:52
Close to the Factory IAT. Thats where I did mine ;)

john8662
08-19-2005, 09:13
Here is where I'm considering putting the IAT probe, it's in the center of the intake, where the casting of the intake makes a hill upwards. Here is a little picture explaining, find the red dot:

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/all/65intakeiat.jpg

DA BIG ONE
08-19-2005, 23:23
I'm working on a project using a before/after IC IAT temp gauge setup, this will tell how efficent the IC is, then let me see what change there is when water injection is turned on.

I have the B&D IC mounted between frame rails and leaning forward and many claim a 100deg change in temps is the norm, we will see.

Being in the sub-tropics I think the addition of water injection after IC can help charge air cool down even more.

Billman
08-20-2005, 04:25
John - That is where mine is mounted. Only in the upper-half of the manifold.

DBO - You'll find those claims of IAT dropping 100* are modest. WMI Will help lower IAT closer to ambient temperature. See for yourself.

On a sidenote: You've got 3 Harleys. Any or all Fuel-Injected? I'm stuck on that option for an '06.

DA BIG ONE
08-20-2005, 08:58
Originally posted by Billman:
John - That is where mine is mounted. Only in the upper-half of the manifold.

DBO - You'll find those claims of IAT dropping 100* are modest. WMI Will help lower IAT closer to ambient temperature. See for yourself.

On a sidenote: You've got 3 Harleys. Any or all Fuel-Injected? I'm stuck on that option for an '06. I'll let all know the results.

All 3 have injection, the V-rod is by far the fastest for top end, but a pain in the b__t comfort wise, next the XB12r leaves em from a dead stop but hard as he_l to keep front end on ground, it's the most fun, best handling, and gets 63mpg too if you can keep from cracking the throttle, then there is the Deluxe has plenty of power is a great cruser and easy on the re_r end.

HANK1948
08-23-2005, 07:22
I just installed a intercooler on my 96 and before the intercooler was installed my IAT run around 250 deg. while towing now after the install its at 140 deg.! hell of a difference after this and installing my 3.5 downpipe and 4.5 exhaust my EGT's are down 200 deg. also and best of all I can get a 4 wheels (dually) turning now! :D