PDA

View Full Version : Can't find the COOLANT LEAK

Mr. Bone
12-09-2006, 10:27
HELLO

Since the weather turned cold I've noticed coolant puddles on the pavement under the van(significant enough that i've replaced about a gallon of fluid in my 86 G30 van). I can see the fluid dripping from the rubber coated wheel just below the crankshaft pulley. Because things are so crammed i cannot find the source of the leak:confused:

Obviously the cold weather caused a seal (somewhere) to contract and lose its ability to seal. Is it the water pump? is there a mysteriouse coolant hose in that vacinity?

Any insight??? thanks

Robyn
12-09-2006, 11:00
Very well may be the water pump.
There is a weep hole on the bottom of the pump "snout" that is real hard to see. Get a mirror on a stick and a flashlight and look up under the water pump snout behind the fan pulley.
If this is the case the pump is shot as the hole is to allow coolant to drain out to allert to a bad pump.

Good luck

Robyn

Mr. Bone
12-10-2006, 10:41
Are there any recommendations on a type of pump(i.e. high capacity, dual thermostat, reman., aftermarket, etc.,.) If so, are there any name brand recommendations and sources for the part?? thanks

Robyn
12-10-2006, 12:50
For a grocery getter thats not towing just replace with a good rebuilt or a new one, depending on what the parts store carrries.

If you are towing you might want to get the special HD units and the dual stats but I have run the stockers many miles in light service and had zero trouble.

Mr. Bone
12-12-2006, 08:06
Robyn,

Thanks for your continued feedback and help with my 6.2 mysteries. I really appreciate it. I ended up ordering a Peninsular pump because it wasn't that much more expensive than a new one. After doing a good bit of research and poor luck with remans. I decided i did not want to spend all that time replacing pump to have it go bad in a year. Thanks again.

john8662
12-12-2006, 11:23
The penn pump flows 110 GPM of water, quite a bit more than the stocker. It may help. This of course is based in the v-belt pump. The serpentine pump (rotates opposite direction) flows 130 and is marked HO.

For the van is has to be the v-belt version.

If it were me (on the cheap) I'd get a rebuilt waterpump for $15 at the parts store.

They're a pretty simple pump, so most of the remans have worked for me.

J