PDA

View Full Version : Well I guess it had to happen

Robyn
12-05-2006, 22:43
I was heading to the office yesterday morning and mashed the 91 Burb really hard to get into the left lane on the one way and POOOOOF the SES light comes on and then goes off in the next block.

I checked the codes this morning and it had logged a 32 (EGR)
It has not done it since so its gonna have to live with itself untill something quits all together and I can trace out the source of the issue.
Might be the solenoid or ???? not really sure.

The things runs wonderful so Im not having a cow over it.
At least this sucker will run and get me home when it has issues.

Even with the EGR not working its not going to hurt anything but that bloody amber light is in an anoying spot.

Thinking about yanking the little 6.2 rat out this summer and steaming it off good and then giving it a freshen up including a set of squirts, IP and a timing chain for starters and probably some freeze plugs and some gaskets and seals too. I might even get squirley and do rings,bearings and a set of heads while its out. Good time for a water pump and hoses.

Gotalovit
Robyn

gmctd
12-06-2006, 13:02
Uses ECT against rpm and trans gear range and monitors applied vacuum via that sensor on the firewall - looks like a MAP sensor, but gotta vacuum hose down to the EGR vent solenoid.

It's 'sposed to prevent floggin' the engine till it comes up to operating temps, also controlling the exhaust-riser flapper

On the non-Kalifornia trucks it's handled by the mechanical ECT valve - no Emissions Control Module ECM

Could be just a cold-hardened hose leak

Robyn
12-06-2006, 17:49
This truck has the OBD 1 port under the dash by the column so it very well may be a Kaly truck.
Has not done it again since so I shall wait and see. Beings its just egr I really dont care if it works as long as the light stays out. ;0)

john8662
12-07-2006, 00:51
Fixed mine already.

All I did was install a new vacuum pump pod on the shaft. The vacuum pump on this model has a speed sensor on it. So you'll need to just replace the pod, not the stalk.

My pump turned out to be bad, caused very crappy cruise control and the SES light intermittantly.

New pump, good vacuum.

Something to check.

J

Robyn
12-07-2006, 10:17
Very well could be.
I have not crawled up over the sucker that far yet.
With the lift kit and the tall tires its a BIT$& to get into the engine bay.
( Need to dig a hole and drive it down in so I can see in better)
Sounds about right though with a bad sensor or vacuum pump the computer will get cranky for sure.
Thanks
Robyn