PDA

View Full Version : New Ip ...nada start...helpful hints needed

rameye
12-05-2006, 15:05
Just finished replacing the IP outside nice and chilly.

Anyways..did the usual routine ..disconnected glow relay...cracked open all odd cylinders fuel connections...cranked it till they wept...retighten..try to fire...no start..

rinse...lather repeat...

fuel pump is pumping...glows are a year old...drawing down system voltage..assuming they are doing their job..

she just spins with no attempts at firing....puffing out the exhaust pipe..

what am I missing??
Dumb question: could all of my cranking have fouled the cylinders?? and she wont fire thru it??

Should I disconnect the fuel solenoid and crank it some more to purge the cylinders...

I have done this before...this time its breaking chops!

opinions welcome

Warren96
12-05-2006, 16:38
Puffing? As in a vapor out the tailpipe,or a noise? How about electrical connections as in "disconected glow plug relay'' ?

rameye
12-05-2006, 16:56
puffing as in vapor/smoke......GP relay in and operating...

29 degrees is probably not the best time to fire off a new IP thats probably got some air somewhere....

update...

after 30 seconds of cranking it gave me one big vroom and then conked out...
that was promising...packing it in for tonite...now 25 degrees out..

have to sleep on this one

DmaxMaverick
12-05-2006, 17:07
Probably still a bunch of air in the lines screwing with your timing. 29

rameye
12-05-2006, 17:21
I'm running B-20..commercial stuff....seems to be flowing nicely...took a sample from the water drain..

lotsa of additive..been putting in double since the change to ULSD...fraid of lack of lubricity

I'm thinking although I got the lines to weep, maybe they need to weep some more..

that one vroom was promising! last time I did this it was 85 out...little different ball game i guess..

thanks for the replies

DmaxMaverick
12-05-2006, 17:39
Which additive, and how much?

With B20, if you don't have a anti-gel additive, you could have enough Vi increase to really slow things down. If it is flowing, it will eventually start, but the cold could be hindering it.

NH2112
12-05-2006, 17:43
I'd pull the glow plugs and test them directly from the battery. While they're out it'd be a good idea to do any necessary cranking because it'll be much easier on your starter and battery. Just crank till you have good fuel misting from the glow plug holes.

rameye
12-05-2006, 18:23
NH- not too worried about the glow plugs got'em from JK....they have about 5K on them and she would always fire without a plug in....even at below zero...may try pulling them to crank thru however....

Dmax -I'm using power service...silver bottle..never had this B-20 give a me a problem...

Wondering if maybe I should disconnect the ECM and let it sit for a few minutes..wonder if maybe my old timing specs arent friendly to the new pump.

Doing alot of wondering.....like whats it like to have an IP that wont fail??

DmaxMaverick
12-05-2006, 19:42
PS in the gray bottle offers ZERO gel protection. You need the PS in the white bottle, or another anti-gel. I think a combination of the B20 and cold temp is at least a significant part of your problem. Below 35

rameye
12-05-2006, 20:02
geez...here I was thinking the silver was the better bottle!!

hope I'm not too screwed..

DmaxMaverick
12-05-2006, 20:16
The gray bottle has a higher cetane improver level, but is not suitable for freezing temps. The white bottle, IIRC, has about half the cetane improver, but contains an anti-gel. Both have lubrication additives. If you are using B20, you shouldn't need much, if any, help with lubrication. The latest release stated B5 was sufficient for lubrication quality improvement.