PDA

View Full Version : Can't start this morning... (7F and no plug)

dragonriot
12-04-2006, 09:09
Ok, so the other day, my kid let the dogs out just before I was supposed to go hunting, and they took off... naturally, I hopped in the truck and fired it up to give chase and take my kid to school. A few hours later, I realized that the truck started way too easily for the temperature, and checked the front end. Sure enough, the plug had been ripped off the truck at the end of the cord. I haven't had time to replace the plug yet, and today it is 7 degrees outside.

I have new 60G glow plugs and all new filters less than 3000 miles old. I don't have any idea where the ECT controller is, otherwise I'd unplug it to see if the plugs can get it hot enough to fire. The truck will sputter for a few seconds when I crank it, but after 3-5 seconds, it just dies again, and I have to start over at square one. My technique is as follows:

1. Fire glowplugs for their full duration.

2. When glowplug light goes out, crank for about 12-15 seconds.

3. Shut off ignition and wait 30 seconds to 1 minute.

4. Fire glowplugs again for their full duration.

5. Crank until "fire" and stop (about 3-5 seconds until "fire".)

6. Turn off ignition and wait 30 seconds.

7. Repeat steps 4-6 until started.

Normally, the truck would be plugged in, and it is difficult to start no matter what the temperature. It does the whole shake rattle and roll for about 10-30 seconds after it starts, then clears out and stops smoking. Any suggestions you guys have to getting this puppy started this morning will allow me to get to the repair shop for new injectors, a manual glow plug controller, new plug on the block heater, and an oil change, and hopefully this problem will solve itself.... with the help of a few hundred bucks...

diesel65
12-05-2006, 20:48
The EC sensor is screwed into the coolant crossover (thermostat). housing, towards the passenger side. It has a two wire connector.
Unplugging it should give you maximum duration of glow time.
If you are going to be caught trying to start without being plugged in, you should think about running synthetic oil.

moondoggie
12-06-2006, 12:34
Good Day!

You might want to click on "Quick Links", then "Edit Signature", & let us know what year, model, equipment etc. truck you are talking about. It's handy, because you don't have to remember to do it, it shows up at the bottom of all your posts automatically. :)

I