PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 hp at 1800 rpm

simon
12-03-2006, 22:52
Hi there
As it says I am a newby on this forum although i was a member about 8 years ago for a while.

Anyway, I have a smaller hydrostatic wheelloader that i use here on the farm.
After it blew the 60 horse gasjob that powered it about 5 years back ,and the money was thight, i decided to repower that thing with a 6.2 I had laying around. the conversion was not that difficult and it fits like it belongs in there.
the problem i seem to have is that this 150 hp 6.2 is not capeble of getting the requared 60 hp at 1800 rpm that the hydraulic pumps need. the pumps are bolted to the bellhousing and driven by a adapter from the flywheel.
The engine is in good shape and purrs like a kitten but under power falls back to 14-1500 rpm.the hydr trottle control is set at 1800 rpm , so it idles when no demand is made.

question: is it possible to get more hp at 1800 rpm or was this the wrong engine for the job?
I turned the pump up a full turn.
Would it be possible to install a beltdriven governor and regulate the trottle from it?

Suggestions are welcome

More Power
12-13-2006, 23:31
You could experiment with injection timing. If the injection timing is OK and the engine is healthy, but still can't get the power you need, a small turbo would definitely help. :) The 6.5NA we ran this past June in Michigan for the fuel economy (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/bmsfc.htm) tests produced up to at least 82 hp at 1800. I don't remember if we maxed the engine out at that rpm or not. We were primarily interested in the fuel economy aspect.

Jim

gmctd
12-14-2006, 08:04
Timing chainset and injectors might help tremendously - on an old 6.2 that was laying around - but your governor should be adjusted to compensate for the load at 1800rpm, not just the rpm.

dieseldummy
12-14-2006, 09:05
With the proper governor setup it shouldn't be an issue. If you have it setup for 1800rpm no load then it isn't giving it enough fuel when the demand jumps up. AG governors are load sensitive for this reason.

simon
12-22-2006, 19:02
Thanks you guys for the input .

The engine is as good as it gets, I changed the IP a few month's ago and pop tested the injectors too, they are just fine.

how do i set the governor on this thing, I haven't got a glue ?

DmaxMaverick
12-22-2006, 19:16
I don't think messing with the governor is going to help you any. The IP governor only limits the max RPM.

I think you will likely need to add an external governor, mechanical or electronic, to give you throttle control under load. There's no reason the 6.2L can't do what you want it to, it is just that fuel delivery is dependent on throttle input. If you have fluctuating loads, a static throttle setting won't maintain a specific RPM.

dieseldummy
12-22-2006, 19:19
Dmaxmav said what I was trying to say before. I've got a 6cyl propane powered Ford engine on a big generator. It has a belt driven governor to maintain a ceratin rpm under load and no-load conditions. It is simple to adapt and I'm sure it would work on a 6.2.

simon
01-09-2007, 21:37
Thanks for the replies people

It seems like the best way to tackle this is to try a external governor, wich i will try in the spring, I am far to bussy now with feeding the bison and plowing snow among keeping the tractors running for a few neighbors.

An other option would be to swap the 6.2 with a 80 hp perkins if i could find one. Anyone interested?

Slim shady
01-13-2007, 13:35
I was reading your post and I think this link will help you out with your governor.

http://www.governors-america.com/intel.html help you out with your governor.

I built a 25kw gen set with a 6.2 and used a Governor of America controller and speed control unit. The gen set wil hold a load to the full 25 kw and keep the hertz within plus or minus .1%. The company is stellar and the unit works flawlessly.

The speed unit bolts directly to the manual 6.2 pump and replaces the top cover. The speed is taken off of a pickup that uses the existing flwwheel. If you need more info I can give you pics of my gen set.

Slim

Slim shady
01-14-2007, 06:00
I posted the link yesterday for a 6.2 governor. the link to the actuator is below.

http://www.governors-america.com/products/Actuators/actuators.htm

The actuator is model number ADC-100

The speed control unit is http://www.governors-america.com/products/speedcontrols/PTI1020.pdf

This is the one i have used, the speed sensor pickup is

http://www.governors-america.com/products/speedsensors/speed_sensors.htm

3/8 shielded cable.

Hope this helps, the 6.2 can be used to drive a lot of equipment economically.

Slim

highpockets
01-14-2007, 15:28
How about a after market cruise control? One that uses a magnet and sensor on the drive shaft.

Slim shady
01-14-2007, 21:33
A factory/aftermarket cruise control will not control the rpm with enough speed and control. The cruise control unit cannot react to changing load as fast and smoothly as a governor.

I did a lot of home work on this, the unit I recomended is used by the military. If you have a few thousand dollars into a piece of equipment I wouldn't trust it to a cruise unit.

Especialy when over reving the engine can cause failure of the engine and equipment.

Slim

highpockets
01-15-2007, 18:46
Thanks Slim,
Hadn't thought about over reving, like when the engine load is lost, or a clutch is shifted into netural. Not normal things for a truck cruise control to deal with but would be a strong consideration for a power unit speed control.
Bob

dieseldummy
01-15-2007, 20:30
Maybe a simple swap to an Ag style top cover would work too?? I was looking at our 4020 JD today and the cover looks like it may work.

Slim shady
01-15-2007, 21:50
I know the Ag governor is a little different but I didn't have any luck with swapping parts from one stanadyne pump to another. You need to be able to have the throttle move,and move quickly. I know for a fact that when I load the Gen set ( has 50kw surge) with my nine horse air compressor the throttle will go almost full for a very short time them go back past where 1800 is and then find a spot that will maintain a constant 1800 rpm in a matter of seconds. I also can run a whole house and the computer equipment with it, the gen set is that clean because the governor maintains a plus or minus 1% of the set rpm. That is pretty dam close to as constant as you can get.

I used the Gen set when the whole east coast went out a few years ago and ran it for ten hours straight burniing about 2 and a half gallons an hour.

I am not sure if the hydralic pump needs that kind of precision so I couldn't speak to the AG governor. That may work if you can get the parts.

I do know the military uses the governor on their 6.2 driver Gen sets and on some other 6.2 driver stationary equipment.

Slim

99ZR2S-10
01-16-2007, 12:33
Just curious what the max hp/torque is for the 6.2?

BARRAZA
01-16-2007, 15:54
I built a 25kw gen set with a 6.2 and used a Governor of America controller and speed control unit. The gen set wil hold a load to the full 25 kw and keep the hertz within plus or minus .1%. The company is stellar and the unit works flawlessly.

The speed unit bolts directly to the manual 6.2 pump and replaces the top cover. The speed is taken off of a pickup that uses the existing flwwheel. If you need more info I can give you pics of my gen set.

Slim

Wow, exactly what I had been thinking of. I would love to see some pictures of your setup.
Thanks
Louis

Slim shady
01-16-2007, 21:02
Give me an email and I will send you the pictures. The pictures are to high a resolution to post here.

Slim

dieseldummy
01-16-2007, 21:32
I'm not sure if the Ag cover is a direct swap, but if it is the response would be good enough for a loader...

Slim shady
01-16-2007, 21:44
"I'm not sure if the Ag cover is a direct swap, but if it is the response would be good enough for a loader..."

I beleive you are correct on that. I think the Ag governor would be more than enough to run it. It would run the generator ok untill the governor limit was reached. Then you would need to up the base fuel back to 1800 rpm and the governor would then keep that until the load exceeded the governor spring again.

The bad part is when the load is taken off: the rpm has no way of going back down unless you set it back by hand. Ag governors were designed for a limited rpm load and more constant load then a generator.

Slim

Slim shady
01-16-2007, 22:09
Ok I figured out how to post the pictures. The link is here

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/showgallery.php

Slim

BARRAZA
01-18-2007, 11:33
Thanks for the pictures. How is your driveshaft attached to the flywheel?

BARRAZA
01-18-2007, 11:37
Another question, about how much did the controller for the 6.2 pump cost?

Slim shady
01-18-2007, 14:29
The drive shaft is attached with an adapter that is used by the boat racing industry. The hardest part of the whole project was setting up the alignment between the gen set and the motor. The drive shaft is so short that it has no flex.

I don't remember the exact cost but I beleive it was less than 500 dollars for both. The company is excellent, but you need to have a company to purchase from them.