PDA

View Full Version : Can't shut truck off, key got stuck???

RT
08-17-2005, 17:35
Okay, heres a weird one for you all. I parked the truck down at my boatyard and went to shut it off and I couldn't turn the key back. No way would it turn back, depress the lever thingy (its a 93), nothing. I could turn the key forward to the start position, starter wouldn't engage since the clutch pedal wasn't depressed. So there I was with a truck I couldn't shut off and a place to be on the water in a hurry. One option was to pull the stop solenoid wire off the IP to kill the engine and then disconnect the batterys. I decided to cut into the plastic trim around the steering column as I think the silly mechanisim that keeps the key from being rotated unless you press the little lever and turn the key was the problem. I pretty much butchered the plastic trim bits but after a while I could turn the key back and shut the truck off. Problem is I am not even sure the thing I attacked is the problem. Maybe I have a worn finicky lock cylinder? Bad ignition switch? Any other ideas? I was thinking of changing out the cylinder and ignition switch just on general principle. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, RT

BobND
08-17-2005, 18:13
This is a common failure. It is the ignition lock cylinder. Simply replace it.

tom.mcinerney
08-17-2005, 18:15
Hopefully others will chme in...

On mine i've noticed that if i'm not careful i can jam the action and not be able to rotate the key thru its' normal range. Fought with it once for 20 minutes. And that's a new set of tumblers and key by a locksmith....with lots of high-quality lube in works. With a gentle touch, been OK since . A new cylinder might be an appropriate starting point.

bobt
08-17-2005, 20:40
Same thing happened to me last summer on the last day(fortunately) of a 2100 mile trip. Three Chevy garages couldn't tell me how to shut it off. Finally talked to a diesel shop that immedately knew to pull the large wire on the IP. Solution was a new lock cylinder. Cost me about $20.00 as I recall.
Bob

markrinker
08-18-2005, 15:49
There are at least two fuses in the fuse block that will stop the truck cold dead. One is labeled ECM. I don't recall the other.

RT
08-18-2005, 18:14
Um, Mark, my truck don't have no stinkin' ECM.... Precomputer stoneage simplicity. And I like it that way. How do you change the lock cylinder? Is it fairly straightforward? Thanks, RT

markrinker
08-18-2005, 19:54
I am thinking the other fuse may be for the pump? Maybe not...sorry only owned the '94s.

bobt
08-18-2005, 20:59
RT Changing the lock cylinder was fairly straight forward. Pulled the steering wheel, removed horn parts and turn signal assembly. There was a screw that held the cylinder in place. Only testy part was a plastic tab that couldn't be removed that was in the way. I was able to bend it enough to get it out of the way to get the screw out(I don't think that is the way it is supposed to be done, but it worked for me.) With the screw out, the cylinder slides out of the column. Reverse procedure to install.
Bob

Cowracer
08-19-2005, 04:34
Beg, borrow or steal a steering wheel puller and lock plate tool (available on loan from Autozone and others)

You will hate life if you try to do the job without them.

Trust me. :D

Tim

NH2112
08-19-2005, 16:42
Just dump the clutch in a higher gear, she'll shut off tongue.gif I've noticed that if the wheels are cranked all the way to one side or the other it places a lot of stress on the ignition cylinder lock, but that usually makes it hard to turn to start, not stop.

charliepeterson
08-22-2005, 18:51
If you remove the bottom halve of the steering wheel cover you have access to the key switch. Turn the key to accessory and stick a small pin through the bottom of the lock assembly, find the access hole first. The key assembly should come out.

BobND
08-22-2005, 21:03
One 'lil problem, Charlie. That procedure only works on 1995 and newer units.

The older units like his require sterring wheel and turn signal switch removal for access to the special screw that retains the lock cylinder.

RT
08-24-2005, 18:15
Thanks for all the replies. Fixed it last Sat with a new lock cylinder from the local dealer for $40. Not to bad to replace. I have a puller that worked on the steering wheel and used a metal plate with some spacers and the wheel nut to compress the antitheft ring enough to pop the snapring off. Silly design but definitely theftproof as you can't do it quickly! RT