PDA

View Full Version : 1st post: 1991 6.2 and new ULSD

rerod
12-02-2006, 18:15
New here.. And new to diesel.

I inherited a 91 K2500 6.2 4x4 with 95000 miles on it from Dad. Since its my first diesel, Im a bit overwhelmed with what I need to know to keep it running well.

First question. The new ULSD fuel. Do I need to add a lubricating supplement to prevent fuel pump failure? And which one? Iv been told to add straight motor oil..:confused:

Second. I live in Iowa and my dad always had issues with the fuel jelling in the cold months. I cant find any pumps stating blended or #1. Is the ULSD fuel already blended at this time of year and ready for negative temps? Or again.. Anti jell additives? And which.

Third.. I assume the truck has 2 fuel filters. Can anyone provide a link to directions and pictures on how to replace them and purge the system?

Iv got other Q's. But lets start with some basics for now.
Thanks before hand.

ZZ
12-03-2006, 02:53
New here.. And new to diesel.

I inherited a 91 K2500 6.2 4x4 with 95000 miles on it from Dad. Since its my first diesel, Im a bit overwhelmed with what I need to know to keep it running well.

First question. The new ULSD fuel. Do I need to add a lubricating supplement to prevent fuel pump failure? And which one? Iv been told to add straight motor oil..:confused:

Second. I live in Iowa and my dad always had issues with the fuel jelling in the cold months. I cant find any pumps stating blended or #1. Is the ULSD fuel already blended at this time of year and ready for negative temps? Or again.. Anti jell additives? And which.

Third.. I assume the truck has 2 fuel filters. Can anyone provide a link to directions and pictures on how to replace them and purge the system?

Iv got other Q's. But lets start with some basics for now.
Thanks before hand.

I buy my fuel from a local jobber who gets his Diesel pre-treated for lubricity. If I were you, I'd check with some independents & jobbers to see if their's is pretreated. Otherwise, I buy & use Power Service treatment in the brown bottle. It lubricates & prevents gelling.

Your truck should only have one filter on the back side of the intake manifold. Always carry a spare.

rerod
12-03-2006, 22:19
So you mean this stuff.
http://www.powerservice.com/about.asp

But I dont understand who a local jobber is. I dont get out much.

ZZ
12-03-2006, 23:26
Yes, that's the treatment.

A jobber sells wholesale fuel in bulk to local stations and farmers if you're in rural area. The jobber I use put in pumps and started selling retail as well.