PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line Air Purge and IP Questions

rdurh
12-01-2006, 16:54
I have two questions that I need help with but first background.

This is about a four year, on again/off again, project for me in converting a 1979 full size Jimmy to diesel using a 6.2L diesel engine. The diesel engine came out of a 1984 CUCV Blazer and had 15,247 miles on it when removed. During this time I have semi-regularly squirted Marvel Mystery Oil or WD40 into the cylinders about three plus times a year and turned the engine over by hand. Most of my conversion parts have come off early '80s Blazer/Suburbans. I'm using a Model 80 fuel filter assembly, mechanical pump, and such for a 1985 Blazer. The wiring is not hook up at this time. I have the front clip off so I have a little easier access to the engine.

First question is about air in the fuel lines. What I have been trying to do lately is to purge the fuel lines. All the gasoline was removed and diesel fuel added to the tank. I have gotten all the air out up through the fuel filter, turning the engine over with the glow plugs removed. I also seem to have fuel going to the injection pump, as I can take the fuel line off at the filter and fuel will come out under pressure. I put 12v power to the fuel shut off solenoid and I can hear a click in the IP. I've removed the fuel return line from the IP but no fuel when cranking the engine over. Also, no fuel to the injectors with all the injector lines cracked open at the injectors. I have tapped on the body of the IP near the fuel shut off and no luck. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Next question. On the passenger's side of the IP is a lever arm/shaft. I have no idea as to what it is called as none of my shop manuals give it a name. Mounts towards to the bottom of the IP and is controlled off the throttle shaft and looks like it activates a solenoid under the IP. The top half of the shaft has broken off. Anyone have a part number for the arm/shaft and/or a source for another one?

rdurh
12-02-2006, 12:11
Attached is a picture I copied off the web with notations as to the lever arm that broke. Any help would really be appreciated.

I am assuming that my fuel shut off solenoid is stuck closed from sitting several years. I haven't been able to find a replacement so some help or other suggestions would again be appreciated.

bertcarrier
12-03-2006, 10:19
The lever that broke off is the light load advance, take a look at this excellent web page that explained everything to me:

http://www.rubiconautoparts.com/wst_page7.html

As far as your fuel question goes, you should be getting fuel coming out of the injectors when you crack a few of them loose, and crank the engine. Do you have a 12volt solenoid in your pump? Military ones came with a 24 volt, that would explain the no fuel situation.

rdurh
12-03-2006, 11:15
I guess the solenoid is the one I missed as I didn't change it, only the starter. I was lead to believe that only the starer was 24v. Side note my younger sister bought a diesel out of the same batch of CUCV Blazer engines. It was dropped in and runs with only chainging out the starter, thought it has some issues with smoking right now (white/grey smoke while running).

rdurh
12-05-2006, 16:03
I got the top of the injection pump off during my lunch break. It was completely dry. I poured in some kerosene and it came out the bottom of the injection pump almost as fast as I poured it into the top. The fuel leak looks to be under the body of the injection pump or on the driver's side. There is a large nut/bolt head on the driver's side at the bottom of the pump. Fuel is leaking from that area or near it.

rdurh
12-07-2006, 16:55
Got the Injection Pump off the engine. It is leaking at the valve that is at the bottom of the arm for the light load advance. Mounted to the round part below the pump. First what is the name and part number? Is there a source to purchase just this part and how easy/hard is it to replace? Also still need to find the arm that broke off. I have no idea why or how it broke.

NH2112
12-07-2006, 19:03
I'd guess that it was stuck and someone tried to free it but hit it too hard. It seems to me that you'd be better off trying to get another IP for a good price.