PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea?

bertcarrier
12-01-2006, 11:19
Hello all,

I have been reading the board for a while, never posted. I have learned so much about my truck, and I thank every one for helping me out.

I have a 1992 K1500 with the 6.2 and a Banks Sidewinder kit. It has a fresh 700R4 transmission with cooler, and 4.10 gears. I am moving cross country, and I want to pull a 20 foot cargo trailer. My truck weighs 6k empty, and the trailer will weigh close to 8k when loaded. Can I pull this off? The truck doesn't make huge power, and I am contemplating turning the pump up a little bit for the trip. At full throttle, I am still only at 900 degrees, and I never see any smoke at all. The engine doesn't burn oil, and she has about 190k miles on her. Any advice before I make the trip?

Thanks,

Bert

NH2112
12-01-2006, 22:03
I think it'll work great, as long as you don't try to keep up with any Duramaxes, PSDs, or Cummins. I'll guess your engine's making a little less power than a 1st gen 6.5l TD (say, 175-180HP & 350lb-ft) which is still quite respectable and definitely capable of towing 8000lb. I'd recommend installing a good trailer brake controller if you don't already have one - I had a Tekonsha Envoy in my K10 and loved it, but I'd robably go with a Tekonsha Prodigy today.

I towed a 12' U-Haul trailer from OK to Maine 8 years ago with an '85 6.2l K10. It had a 700R4, aux tranny cooler, and 3.08 gears. I'd estimate the trailer was 5000lb, for most of the trip I hauled in 3rd gear and kept my speed around 60ish, tops. There were absolutely no problems related to or caused by the trailer - I did blow my rearend's carrier bearings but don't think the trailer had anything to do with that.

gmctd
12-02-2006, 11:11
Watch EGT's closely, Bert - my limit is 1100deg, pre turbine, while keeping a close eye on coolant temps, never exceeding 210deg.

If you crank the pump 1/8th turn, you'll see that easy without a charge-air cooler.

Over the years, a number of folks have posted running temps of 1350deg all day long, but they usually stopped posting shortly after losing an engine....................

bertcarrier
12-02-2006, 15:47
I just finished the valve cover gaskets, what a pain. While I was in there I turned the pump 1/4 turn, and advanced the timing about 1/16 of an inch to make up for the chain stretch. I put a Racor R60 filter in the diesel side of the fuel system. If you flip the angle iron bracket and cut it down a bit, you can fit a R60 in the spot where the old Stanadyne 80 used to go. Pretty cool! It rattles louder now, and smokes a bit when I stomp on it! I took it on the highway for a test drive and there is definitely more power there. I'll keep an eye on those EGT's.

One more question, when I was in there, I noticed a Throttle Position Sensor. Why would my truck need one of these? The transmission is controlled by the TV cable, and it has a DB2 mechanical pump. What is the TPS for?

gmctd
12-02-2006, 17:00
Ya got a ECM on that 1500 - emissions control module - hidden back in the dash somewhere.

Got a few sensors in the 700R4.

Controls a few odds 'n ends around the engine - EGR, advance, incl TCC lockup - won't load up the engine below operating temps, so as to reduce oxides of noxious and other bad stuff.