PDA

View Full Version : removing turbo help!

eembry
11-25-2006, 19:35
I have changed the injectors on the left bank of my truck engine and now I need to change the right side but I don't know how much trouble it is to remove the turbo. I have a '92 6.5 chevy. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks for any help.

Dvldog8793
11-25-2006, 20:02
Howdy
I have done injectors both ways and can say that removing the turbo is worth the effort.
Try to soak the connecting bolts with some type of penitrating oil. Be carefull removing the stainless band clamp on the exhuast side, Stainless likes to gall and strip. The heat shields will be a challenge but they do come off. Replace the oil return hose on the bottom of the turbo with a new one. The back injector is tough so start there first. Try to use as few extensions as posible when torqueing the new injectors into place. Use the push on type fuel return lines. Now is also a good time to replace the down pipe if you haven't done so already. Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

NH2112
11-25-2006, 20:18
The worst part of the whole thing is removing the oil drain line on the bottom of the turbo. Next worse are the 2 inner flange bolts, but these aren't too bad. I've used a 1/4" drive ratchet and 13mm (IIRC) universal socket with the shortest possible extension to get these off. The best thing to get the oil drain line off is a Snap-on 4-way angle wrench; I say Snap-on because they have 30 and 60 degree offsets as opposed to the 15 and 60 degree offsets that other brands have. You'll still be turning it 1/2 flat at a time, though.

ronniejoe
11-25-2006, 21:19
I've found that the best way to get to the turbo flange bolts is from the bottom with a long 3/8" extension and 15mm flex socket. Come in through the wheel well after removing the splash shield. The oil return tube bolts are most easily accessed using a 10mm ratcheting wrench from the top. I get the exhaust clamp with a long 1/4" extension and 11mm deep socket from the front.

eembry
11-26-2006, 07:35
Thanks for the info . I was trying to decide if I wanted to tackle it or have it done. Surley if I can change the Ip ,glow plugs, left bank injectors ,I can get these too. Think I will give it a try.

Hubert
11-26-2006, 10:53
Yeah its not that tough but very time consuming the first time. Patience is the key. Take your time and start fresh and keep good house keeping. If you drop the little screws they are a pain to find and you don't want any extra aggravation. I don't know what others have done but I took off the whole upper intake and turbo as one piece. I think that comes off easier than trying to undo the hose between turbo and aluminum upper intake. The upper intake gasket isn't that expensive. Once the heat shield is off you can bend the tabs (just a bit) so they are not as tight going back on.

Turbo Al
11-27-2006, 13:04
Eddie send me your E-mail address and I will send you my personal how to info to take a look at.
Al
TurboAl@Shaw.ca