PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Maintenance Questions

TurboDiverArt
11-27-2003, 07:14
Hi All,

New to diesels and TDP.

I'm about to get my first Diesel (parents had a gas conversion in the early 80's but that's another story...). It's a 1999 Burb 6.5LTD with 120K. I'd like to do some routine maintenance on the truck before using it. I think I know the routine maintenance I need to do, oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter and fuel additive. Can I get this stuff from a local parts store like Pep Boys or Advanced? They are about the only places around me, all the little local shops have long closed up. I know with the oil it's important to make sure it's diesel rated (CG-4, CH4 or CI-4 rated 15W-40). Winters can average in the teens for days here in New Jersey but usually not below zero but also don

turbovair
11-27-2003, 09:00
IMHO(In my humble opinion),
Do all the things you already decided to do except:
-just top off diff oil, a complete change can "shock deposits loose" and shorten life
-Probably dont need a shift kit yet, but do change F and F

Fuel filter is located rearmost center top of engine.You have to remove "TurboPower" cover first. Look for the big Plastic nut and bleeder vent. Remove filter by unscrewing nut and lifting up on plastic straps. I have used Fram filters with good results. Good Luck.

G B Sisson
11-27-2003, 09:24
Art, For this newbie,The Diesel Page is the BOOK.I dont know of specific manuals but have seen some refered to on TDP. There are reprints available on this site,and I intend to buy a few of them so I can become more familiar with this rig.The level of expertise here is nothing short of phenominal,with over 10,000 members and millions of combined miles driving and repairing these vehicles.Compare that to your local Chev Dealer(Stealer) who only sees a 6.5 now and then. When my Sub started stalling last month, my closest dealer said Injector pump,1800.00, I found TDP instead and bought a new FSD and mounted it on a Cooler myself, in the 400.00 range. Problem Solved. Only problem now is I'm hooked on TDP(I'm not only new to Diesels,but computers and especially the 'net). I'm looking into 12 step programs.In short,Ive learned in one month that these can be Great Trucks,but they are best owned by us maintanence hobbiests,particularly when there's a lot of miles on the clock.Im hoping it's somewhat better than a British Motorcycle(Iss Stanadyne a division of Lucas?) Happy Motoring and Thanksgiving GB

Scooby
11-27-2003, 14:19
If you want the BEST (IMO) set of manuals for your truck, go to HELM and order the factoy manuals. They will cost you about 120.00, but are worth it as these manuals are the GM bible for your vehicle. I order them for all my vehicles. It only took 1 week for them to arrive when I ordered online. I know 120. is a little steep, but these manuals have saved me many a trip to the dealer on my other vehicles, and just looking thru the books on my '96 1500, I think 120 is cheap insurance to have your ??'s answered from the factory manuals. Thats my .02 worth !! tongue.gif

tom.mcinerney
11-27-2003, 19:13
Welcome, Art. Helm manuals, The Diesel Page Troubleshooting guide , and TDP Removal and Replacement guide, a codereader a good start. Fresh fluids/filters sound good. Clean power connections(at battery+grounds) good too.
A warning-the fuel filter is tricky. Ideally, 1.) drain crap from housing base, 2.) remove old element, 3.) check for filter screen, 4.) install new element, with careful attention to the element keying to the housing(only goes down one way, i screwed up my initial effort), 5.) prime/ bleed filter.
Oh, yeah. Run good fuel from a major name distributor. No secondary filter; bad fuel can do damage....
Make use of the 'search' feature of forum for background info....

TurboDiverArt
11-27-2003, 19:24
Thanks Everyone!!

Barry Nave
11-28-2003, 04:09
Shoot is the evel of our diesel,byprodect of diesel fuel. Change oil 3K if not sooner.
Bypass filter a big plus if this is a long term keeper.