PDA

View Full Version : Head scratcher

wvo
11-22-2006, 12:54
Here is one that leaves me scratchin my head saying hmmm? Put a new injection pump on last spring and replaced the injectors while I was at it. The glow plugs were less than six months old so I didn

Robyn
11-23-2006, 14:18
Im suspect that you have a lift pump issue and the sucker is sucking air back in from the front end.
If the lift pump has an issue with the check valve fuel will drain back to the tank and you will get a no/hard start.
Try parking it with the nose down at a fair grade and see if it starts in the AM.
My 84 Blazer would do that and if parked nose down, worked fine.
If this fixes it you need a new fuel pump.

Sandman729
11-23-2006, 17:23
My 85 K10 did the exact same thing until I replaced the lift pump. New lift might cure it. Good luck!

84 Convert
11-24-2006, 09:42
I may have bought glow plugs from the same vendor you did, but I never heard about the timing thing until it was stated here in another post. Fact is, I put the replacement set of plugs in another truck and am still running the 60g's I pulled to put in the new ones. It has been nearly a year and the 60g's are still running with no hard start issues until just recently when a non-plug related issue came up. The truck that has the new plugs is doing what yours is. But I'm thinking lift pump like Robyn said because the 2500 (new plugs) never has started well since I gave the 454 the boot.

Gregg

wvo
11-25-2006, 09:44
The lift pump ahhhh! That makes sense because I had replaced the mechanical pump with an inline electric pump and I am pretty sure it doesn't have a check valve. I had read about the vacuum in the fuel line so I put a check valve on the line when I swapped out the glow plugs and it has been firing right up the last couple of mornings. Thanks again