PDA

View Full Version : 91 Burb belt drives

Robyn
11-15-2006, 09:17
I got my 91 GMC Burb home and am looking it over well now and low and behold , I thought these late 6.2's had the serp drive belt system on them.
The newest 6.2 rig I have had up untill now was an 86 I thought GM started the serp drives in 89 on all the rigs ???????????
Mine has the v belt drives. I may just have to go a looking for a serp setup off of a later 6.5 and slip it in there. I hate all those v belts.
Any answers here ?????????

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
11-15-2006, 09:28
Interesting. It should be serpentine. I agree, ~88+ should not be V-belt. Wonder if the original engine was replaced with an older one? Check the date code on the block/heads. Could also explain the check engine lamp issue.

EWC
11-15-2006, 16:37
Had a 91 2500 and that had V belts . Thought it was R/V had V belts and C/K had the serp set up along with the single plane intakes . ECM on your truck should be for emissions/EGR .

Robyn
11-15-2006, 21:23
Engine is the original.
The computer also controls the TCC on this truck.
Its a GMC if that makes any difference and a 1/2 ton.
No butchers loose under the hood, all is neat and tidy.
The old fellow who had it gave it to his grandson and the kid had it since july of this year so he only had time to spend his $$$$$$$$$ on the lift kit.
The sucker is 14 inches over stock height at the bumper.
The family calls it "Our Monster Truck"
Just an anomally I guess

john8662
11-15-2006, 23:42
Classic body style = v-belts!

I have a '91 too! V-belt just like any other 85+ 6.2 looks.

J

arveetek
11-16-2006, 08:49
This gets rather confusing with this particular time period. Apparently, '88 and newer trucks in the 'new' body style have serpentine belt systems in both gasoline and diesel vehicles. However, '88 to '91 'classic' body style crewcabs, Suburbans, and Blazers had serpentine belts on the gasoline engines and v-belts with the diesels. Don't ask me why?

Casey

Robyn
11-16-2006, 10:37
Well Im a gonna tell ya. Give me a little time and this 91 is a gonna have a serp drive setup on it.
I hate them nasty V belts.
Its off to ebay and see what I can fine for a few $$$$$$$
The 6.5 stuff fits fine and is simple.
This summer is gonna be busy me thinks.