PDA

View Full Version : help with rebuild parts @ ?'s

smcghan
11-14-2006, 23:38
I don't have alot of time to search thru here so hopefully I can pick all your brains. My heads are done now I need to get a re-ring kit. I seem to remember I need Felpro gaskets. Piston rings, there were good and bad kinds? Bearings? Should the crank be polished? It looks good. How about re-sizing the rods? The stock bearings still look pretty good. But it needs rings (before I put the turbo on). Should I ridged hone the block or just use the ol' spring loaded one. Any recomendations on grit of stones?. I know this is alot of ?'s So I thank you all in advance.

Steven

Robyn
11-15-2006, 09:10
Ebay is a good spot to shop.
The bearings used in these engines are select fit and you will find the size on the back of the bearing shells.
They had Std and undersized shells to allow fitting at the factory.
My 6.5 had Std Rods and .0005" undersize mains.
If you have the undersize bearings you can use a set of standards and it will work fine. The select fit bearings are a dealer item only and SPENDY@$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Mic the crank and see what the size is and go from there to get the clearance you need. Also there are other undersize bearings available for use with a rebuilt crank.
These engines are all metric so be aware all stated sizes and such are in metric.
Resizing the rods is not a bad idea.
Felpro is a good gasket set.
be sure to check your ring end gap on each and every ring when you install.
The oil ring depending on the type you get will most likely be ok.
The top and second compression ring must be checked to be sure the end clearance is ok.
Good luck
Robyn